Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble Transferring Data From Act 2000 to Act 2007

Trouble Transferring Data From Act 2000 to Act 2007

I have been using Act 2000 for years. For safety I loaded 2000 on my home computer and have successfully been transferring the data via a flash drive. I recently successfully loaded Act 2007 on a new computer with Windows Vista. When I try to transfer data or open the data that is on my flash drive I keep getting the message "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that the other memory is corrupt" When I browse for the data in my flash drive I have to change the setting to version 3.0-6.0 or something like that to get the browse function to read. I think Act 2000 is version 4.5 which is inbetween.When I highlight the file in the flash I keep getting the same message. Thanks
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble Transferring Data From Act 2000 to Act 2007

You need ACT! 2008 or 2009 for Vista. ACT! 2007 was not Vista compatible.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply.According to the Act page the version of Act 2007 I have should be Vista compatable. There should be a fix.( See below). But again it did not load/convert the 2000 database.

http://www.act.com/vista2007/#issues

What specific version does it show in Help | About ACT!?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the response.

ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162

Some more information, hopefully it may give some info why it won't accept the data base.

I went to the Act site of the link above. I downloaded the latest version. When I went to install it it stopped and said I have the current version as indicated when I went to the help menu as you suggested.

I tried the getting started wizzard. 

I selected > Convert a database that was created in Act versions 3X to 6X (my database in Act 2000 is 4.5 I think)

Next >Welcome to the Database Conversion Wizzard.

went to browse>

>computer

>removable disk

>Act database

>open

That is when I got the message "Attempted to reat or write protected memory. This is often an indication that the other memory is corrupt"

I guess nobody has experience with this problem. Just to add some information just to make sure the data base was OK I successfully loaded onto the Act 2000 program I also have on the desktop at home. At the very least if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I haven't registered the program as of yet as I have 30 days and may want to re-sell it if I can't figure this out.

ACT! 2007 should work on Vista, although it was not designed for the O/S.  First thing is to make sure that User Account Control (UAC) in Vista is disabled. The following Knowledgebase article gives you the steps to do this:

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

If UAC is not the issue, then the error you are receiving may also indicate a .NET issue within Vista.  There is a command you can run that may fix this (do this after you have made sure UAC is disabled):

1. Close all open applications on your computer 
  2. Click on the Start menu, choose All Programs, then Accessories, then double-click on the Command Prompt item
  3. Type this command in the cmd prompt: sfc /scannow and press Enter on your keyboard
  4. The cmd prompt should list text stating "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time."
  5. Wait for the scan to complete (this can take several minutes so be patient)
  6. When the scan completes, the SFC tool will indicate whether or not it found any integrity violations and offer you the chance to fix any that are found

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

I tried both suggestions. First I disabled the User Account Control successfully using method 1.After the restart I tried to import the Act 2000 database from my flash drive. I used the getting start wizzard in help. I received the same corrupt message half way through the process. I also tried going to file and trying to open the data base with the same result.

I then tried the scan as you suggested. I guess that is a dos test. After about 10 minutes I received "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" For the hell of I tried to load the data base again, unfortunately unsuceesssfully.

Eventhough it did not work I appreciate your help and the time you spent researching this. If you can think of anything else I would appreciate it.

Gerry 

Copy the database from the flash drive to your hard drive, then try to convert the copied database.