Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble Installing ACT! 2011 on Vista computer

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Trouble Installing ACT! 2011 on Vista computer

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I work in a very small company. I have been trying to update my boss's ACT from version 6.0 to the new ACT 2011 for the past week or so with no success. I have searched all over the forums and tried various suggestions to try and fix it with no luck.

His desktop is currently running Windows Vista and meets all of the hardware requirements.

We purchased the downloadable version of ACT.

Here are the steps I have taken to install it:

1. Unzip folder.
  2. Lauch Setup.exe (run as administrator) .
  3. Install ACT 2011.
  4. When it gets to the "Running System Check" portion at about 80%-90% of the way through I get a popup with the error:
    -Prereq. Exceptions.Key Doesn't exsist Exception [..] (sorry I don't have the full error message)
  5. I click the box to continue.
  6. It goes to instal the SQL Server 2008 R2.
  7. "Sage ACT! Pre-Requisite has encountered an error and needs to close"
  8. Close it out.

We get the option to submit an error but it cannot seem to connect to the feedback site (our internet was working fine).

I have tried running the setup after uninstalling ACT 6.0 and it didn't help, I got the same error message.

I went through and followed the steps here:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Four-failed-install-attempts-and-a-success/td-p/105734

I was still getting the same error(s).

Thinking it might just be the SQL installation being a pain, I tried to just DL SQL Server 2008 Express R2. Even that encountered an error (MoF Syntax Error).

I just don't know what to do anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information for the errors or screenshots of the messages, please let me know and I will get them for you.

EDIT: I should add that I have the new version of ACT installed on my brand new computer (Win7) and it works flawlessly.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly_Newman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble Installing ACT! 2011 on Vista computer

[ Edited ]

Hello Kelly,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. It sounds like the issue is in the pre-install checker. Try this workaround to disable the system checker:

- In the Control Panel, under Programs & Features, uninstall any ACT! or SQL Server components you may have installed earlier. Also uninstall MSXML 6.0 Parser. Reboot the computer.
- Browse to the ACT! install directory...open the Dependencies folder
- Locate the folder call PreReq, right-click on it, select rename and rename it to PreReqOLD
- Browse back to setup.exe, right-click on it and select Run Administrator to run the install

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelly_Newman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

Hello Kelly,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. It sounds like the issue is in the pre-install checker. Try this workaround to disable the system checker:

- In the Control Panel, under Programs & Features, uninstall any ACT! or SQL Server components you may have installed earlier. Also uninstall MSXML 6.0 Parser. Reboot the computer.
- Browse to the ACT! install directory...open the Dependencies folder
- Locate the folder call PreReq, right-click on it, select rename and rename it to PreReqOLD
- Browse back to setup.exe, right-click on it and select Run Administrator to run the install

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Will do, Greg.

Thank you for the help, I will post my results after giving it a try.

-Kelly Newman

Well, it installed properly but now we're getting an error when trying to convert our database over.

Pictures of the error:

First error message

First Message

Trying to check the details for more information:

Details

Last error message:

Last Error Popup

Further assistance is greatly appreciated!

I'm still encountering errors when trying to convert the database over.

Continues to give me the errors from above.

I ran the DIAG tool on the 6.0 database and everything checked out fine.

Kelly,

See if the information in KB Article 13797 helps to resolve this issue. Also, make sure you have disabled User Account Control (UAC) in Vista as well. Instructions to do this are in KB Article 20220.

Greig Hollister

Will do, Greg.

Thank you for your continued support! Going to give a shot. Will post again with my results after I have completed.

[ Edited ]

Well, I disabled UAC, ran Act 2011 as an admin, and made sure to register it.

No luck.

And even more puzzling, after the last attempt to convert his Act 6.0 DB ended up with a new layout completely different from the one he was using before.

The first article seemed geared towards a database that has already been established rather than one that is trying to be converted.

Should I create an empty .PAD db before trying to do a conversion again?

Thank you once again for the patience and help!

EDIT:

I am bringing his database over to my computer via a flashdrive to try and convert it on my PC and seeing if that works and then I will try to transfer the .PAD file back to his computer so it won't have to try and do the conversion any more.

Will again post after I have completed this.

Copper Elite Contributor

Kelly,

Can you open the ACT 2011 demo database?

Also converting the database on one machine and then taking the pad to another machine wont work unless there networked.

Also you want to convert the ACT! 6 database on the machine it was always ran from, if you convert it on your machine and if you had document or email attachments in the ACT! 6 database they will not convert as ACT! 2011 wont be able to find them.

Thanks,

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005

Kurt,

Luckily there were no document or email attatchments to worry about (finally, some good luck for me).

I was able to open the Act 2011 demo database on his computer and our two computers are networked together.

I was able to successfully convert his DB over and I even imported my updated contacts into his. So now we're on the same page!

About to send his DB back over to him right now. Fingers crossed this works!