Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trouble Copying My Database!

Trouble Copying My Database!

I need to move all contacts in 2 of our user groups out of our current database (in our ACT 9.0 for Financial Professionals) and into their own new database.  I thought the best way to do this would be to create an empty copy of our current database and then export those contacts into the new empty database.  Our database is on a server, so I logged into the server and went to copy the database and every time I choose a location to save it to, it gives me some error about needing to save it to an actual drive on the machine or something?  Im selecting the c: drive where our original ACT database is saved and its still not working.

Any ideas?

THanks!

Lindsay

Using Act 10.02 For Financial Professionals
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trouble Copying My Database!

You are actually using the server console when doing this (not a workstation)?

Creating databases has to be done locally.

If that's not the cause, maybe try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5ve9as

It refers to previous versions, but solution might still apply

Yes, I am logging into the server because thats where our ACT database in currently saved.  When I try to copy the database from my own computer, or any other computer, it says "The current database is a non-local database.  Only local databases (those residing on this machine) can be copied."  When I log into the server, I dont have that problem.  I get all the way through the copying process until the end when the other error (that i mention in my first post) shows up. 

I read that article, which had good information, but it doesnt seem to help my specific problem, because, far as i can tell, Im doing everything that it says correctly. ??

You can't copy a database that way.

You need to make the copy on the same machine as the database is, then back it up and restore it on the other machine as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6d7mju

Loyal Listener

Did you ever get an answer for your question? I am having the same exact issue and cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

lharris,

No Im sorry, we ended up having to call our corporate IT department and they logged on and took care of it for us (the copying of the database that is)  they left us directions on how to export from one database to the other...but if you don't have the copy of the database to export TO, I don't think the directions that I have will be of much use to you.

Lindsay

Loyal Listener

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

Loyal Listener

When I try doing a Copy As on the server I get an error that the database must be copied to a drive on the local machine. I am choosing a local drive.

After that error I noticed it does create the copy, but I am unable to log into it. The error is: Cannot authenticate user, incorrect username or password.

You are logged in on the server itself and copying the a physical drive (not mapped) also on the server?

Also, don't use My Docs as this has additional security