Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Trial Expired...Need Backup Data

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Trial Expired...Need Backup Data

Hi,

I downloaded the 30-day trial of ACT! Premium, as there was no option for Pro that I could see.  I have now purchased Pro, but my trial has expired on Premium.  I never did a backup, which I was told I need to do in order to transfer everything to Pro.  Problem is, I can't get into the Premium trial to do the backup, and I am afraid if I install Pro that the Premium data will be lost since it tells me I have to remove it first.

Is there a certain process that can help me out?  Sage's phone support said I can't ask for help until I install Pro and register.  I don't want to waste a whole month of setting up ACT!

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author PacificInspection
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Trial Expired...Need Backup Data

Yes, they are two separate functions. Do the backup first (not required, but advised), then the downgrade. Then you can uninstall Premium and install Pro. This will not affect your database as it is in separate location from the program.

Important Note: After you do the downgrade, do not open the database in Premium as that will upgrade it back up to Premium. Uninstall Premium, reboot your machine, install and register Pro, then open the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

It's not a backup that you need ... you need to be in Premium, open the data base and "save as" Pro. It's pretty easy for anyone with Premium to do.

If you are buying from an ACT! Certified Consultant (which I recommend you do), they might do this service for you for a small fee

[ Edited ]

Hello PacificInspection,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Just so we understand, you have a Premium database that you can longer access in ACT!, that you now need to be able open and use in the Pro version? Please clarify - if this is case, I believe I have a tool that can help you.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Yes, this is exactly the case.  Kind of a catch 22?

Is this tool free?  If not, I haven't really done TOO much in my trial version that I wouldn't be able to re-do fairly quickly now.  Just trying to save time.  I will say, however, that it was really stupid that I couldn't just download a trial version of Pro instead of premium.  Then I wouldn't be in this mess.

Yes, I see that you can go to the Pro products page and download from there, now.  But when you are on the main act.com page and click on 'try act for free,' there is only one option and doesn't even inform you that there are two different products.  Confusing, to say the least.Smiley Indifferent

I should add that the names 'Pro' and 'Premium' are possibly counterintuitive. Most softwares are available as 'Premium' being their entry level software, and 'Pro' being the more complete.

Just my 2 cents.

They've changed the naming rules nearly every year - which is pretty confusing even for those of us immersed in the product.

As to the web link, hopefully one of the moderators can pass that on

So what is this tool that can help me out?