Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transferring databases between computers

Transferring databases between computers

[ Edited ]

Like most people, I have a desktop and a laptop which I take when I travel.  I want to keep my databases current between computers.

It was very simple to do this in 2006 Act but ever since it has grown more complicated and more prone for errors.  I am completely dissatisfied with the amount of work it takes to just coordinate between database. In 2008 you have made it really overly complicated.  You must first backup the entire database and then go through a process on your next computer.  If 2006 could work on a Vista I would never have upgraded. Now I rue the day I bought 2008.  I am now forced to look at making a database in Excel and using that instead of this over burdened and stupidly organized 2008 Act.  It use to take a minute at most at the end of the day to backup and transfer today it takes 10 to 20 minutes and time and time again it does not work and I wasted time.

Who {please post courteously} came up with backup and restore. Keep it Simple Stupid KISS.  You have thoroughly made this process bloated and way too lengthly and prone to errors constantly.  Bring back to 2006 so that it works on Vista.

I ask all ACT users to unite against the Stupidity of this current program and can someone make 2006 work on Vista and let them write their software for people in the Insanity Ward who have all the time to read manuals the size of the bible.

Dennis

Message Edited by tashina on 04-19-2008 12:09 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Transferring databases between computers

[ Edited ]

To keep the databases current is the same between ACT! 2006 and 2008.

You shouldn't use backup/restore, you should use sync as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/4qfjww

ACT! 2006 can't work on Vista because Microsoft won't make their SQL 2000 (used in ACT! 2006) run on Vista

Message Edited by GLComputing on 04-20-2008 02:48 AM

[ Edited ]

Have you read the sync item you mentioned in your reponse.  It took 8 pages just to print it out.  What are you guys thinking. How about just copying a few files and transfering to the other computer.  How simple was that in 2006.  You just copy the dbf file for the database and it worked.

WOW was that simple. 

Your response of sync to the databases is tedious and time consuming and complicated.

I would rather keep it simple STUPID. {edited- please post courteously}

Dennis

Message Edited by tashina on 04-19-2008 08:50 PM

omeaga wrote:

Have you read the sync item you mentioned in your reponse.  It took 8 pages just to print it out.  What are you guys thinking. How about just copying a few files and transfering to the other computer.  How simple was that in 2006.  You just copy the dbf file for the database and it worked.

First.. the DBF was ACT! 6.0, not ACT! 2006 (which is version 8.0)
Second, copying the DBF only would end up creating corruption in an ACT! 6.0 database... if you weren't using the database much, you probably wouldn't notice this.

Mike,

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Dennis 100%.

In Act-6 I just copied the entire database sub-directory on the one computer to my flash drive, and when I got to the other machine, copied it to there.  Worked excellent, and quick, and easy7 each and every time.

Now is a complete disaster of time consumption and frustration!

Bill Collins

bcorlando wrote:

Mike,

I'm afraid that I have to agree with Dennis 100%.

In Act-6 I just copied the entire database sub-directory on the one computer to my flash drive, and when I got to the other machine, copied it to there.  Worked excellent, and quick, and easy7 each and every time.

Bill, even in ACT! 6.0, copying the database that way could cause issues.

However, in ACT! 7.0 and later the SQL database doesn't permit that. Using the Backup | Restore | Restore_As would provide a similar functionality, but using sync is better still