Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transferring a ACT database from one computer to another

Transferring a ACT database from one computer to another

Hi:

I work for a non profit that was very small and is now growing! I was doing all of the work from home, but now the non profit has its own office. Wahooo! I need to transfer the database onto the computer at the new office from my own home computer. The software has been installed on the office computer, but i saved the database onto a disk and it would not open. It was mentioned that I should create a zip file, but I am not sure how to do this. I have passed the deadline to use the tech supprt number. I would so appreciate any assistance. Thank you very much!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Transferring a ACT database from one computer to another

On the original system in the ACT! program, File | Backup. On the new system in the ACT! program File | Restore | Database | Restore As.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

And that will work to save it on a disk and then bring it to my new office? Is it emailable. I am a real computer idiot, I apologize.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes but it may be too large a file to email.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

So when I open my database at home I go to file and then click on back up and then what?? It automatically will save on a disk or it will prompt me to do so? And then when I go to my new office I put in the disk and then go to "Program File: and then follow the prompts below?

When I am doing it from home, will it present me with an option to email the file. I believe it is about 26,000 - is that too big to email?