Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transferring ACT Pro2012 from one computer to another

NWI

Transferring ACT Pro2012 from one computer to another

My company purchased 4 licenses for Act Pro 2012, which was installed on my previous computer system. We just got new computers and an upgraded system. I've downloaded ACT onto my new computer but it isn't letting me access the database. I'm assuming it is because the licence was on the old system but how do I transfer my license onto my new computer?

NWI

Re: Transferring ACT Pro2012 from one computer to another

Here's a bit more info, in case it's needed:

I've uploaded ACT onto my new computer and it installed just fine. But then when I go onto my company's server to open the database, I'm prompted with a sign in/password screen. Previously, on the old computer, the name was filled in with "Allison" but the password was left blank and I would just hit "okay" and it would work. When I do the same thing on the new computer, I get a "cannot authenticate user" message.

Silver Contributor

your problem is not a licensing issue.  assuming it's the act login screen that is prompting you with this message, then you need to identify your ACT username and password.  The easiest way to do this is to have someone login to your database from another workstation or the server and get it for you.

If no one can get in, the next step would be to go back to the old system and see if you can bring that up and identify what it was and keep it.

Finally if no onw knows, Sage has a password recovery service (here).  This is also something that many act consiultants are able to do for you.  there is usually a charge for this service.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I'm having a similar problem since I was hosting the database on the computer with a license and I have a new computer.  I'm having issues with the other license users no longer being able to use the database though it moved over fine and I can access it.  I can no longer act as administrator and share it on the new computer, so I had to go back to the old one until I find out how to resolve this issue.  I cannot find any documentation on how to retain workablility on any forum for this issue as of yet.