Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfering layout from one computer to another

Transfering layout from one computer to another

I have customized our ACT layout and wish to share the layout with a friend that has a simliar business.  How do I get the layout and fields into her database?  I would also like to share a group criteria I created as well.  We both have ACT Pro 2012

Nickel Contributor

Re: Transfering layout from one computer to another

Hi Bree,

You can copy the layout to the other database but any of your customised fields will end up being greyed when you have selected it from the drop down list so you will need to Tools -> Design Layouts -> Contact Layout and then make sure you go to View -> Properties Window (or Click F4) and there you will be able to select the field and change the Field Value property to the field you want.

But it may just be just as easy to create the contact / group layout from scratch as normally you would only do this if you have created an empty copy of the database as the customised layout is not copied.

I would save your original layouts with a new name and then copy them to the layouts folder of the friends database, don't just overwrite the existing ones.

Thanks Chris! 

Sounds like it won't be as easy as I was told it would be!  More than half of the fields are custom fields.  : ( How do I actually go about sending the layout? send file via email?

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just go into your layout folder and copy the .customised .CLY file and the .GLY one. As mentioned before I would edit the layout and then do a Save as and give them a new name. Then you could just zip them up and email them

Platinum Elite Contributor

Generally layouts and other custom items like reports are specific to a database. The only somewhat easy way to provide the other person with the layout would be to make an empty copy of your database and copy the custom layouts to the empty copy then backup the empty copy and sent that. To use the database the other person would need to import their database into the empty copy.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I created a new database and sent the empty database and the add'l files including the layout and queries but when I go to remote in to install it on my friends computer is searching for my computer to access it.  Its saying can not be reached b/c of the IP Address.  Any solutions?

If you created an empty copy of the database none of the custom files like a custom layout are replicated. They must be separately copied from the original database alyout folder to the empty copy layout folder.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I copied the empty database into one folder and then created a separte parallel folder with the layouts, reports, etc.  That seemed to work on my computer but when I tried placing them on her computer, it read "The computer could not be reached b/c the IP address could not be resolved..." It wouldn't let me open the file.  There has to be a way to share the layout.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

You haven't mentioned how you have copied the database to the other machine, but if it asking for your machine I would imagine that you have copied the pad file along with the database files. The pad file will hold information about your machine. Try deleting the pad file and then browse to the folder and make sure the file type is changed to ADF then this will attach the database files and create a new pad file.

The best way to transfer one database to another machine is to back it up and then on the other machine do a Restore As, this makes things nice and simple.

What database files did you copy? Unless you stopped the SQL server you likely only copied the PAD file and not the ADF and ALF files. In which case it would work on you computer because the PAD file (which is only a pointer file) would still point to the original database. On the new computer the pointer wouldn't be able to find the original database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129