Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfering databases from one computer to another

Transfering databases from one computer to another

I looked this up in help and they say to:
  1. On the navigation bar, click E-mail.
  2. From the File menu, click Transfer E-mail.

I click E-mail and I open an E-mail message. I click File and I do not see Transfer E-mail in my File menu.

Nickel Contributor

Re: Transfering databases from one computer to another

Are you trying to share the database between 2 or more users? or are you simply trying to transfer the database over to a new machine?

If your just transferring over to a new machine and dont need the two sync'd than i would suggest using the backup method.

create a backup of the databse on your first machine.  Now email or copy that file over to the new machine and use the "restore as" function on the new machine.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you trying to transfer the ACT! database or the email system?

Are you moving it to another system or do you want to share?

What version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)? 

I have a question regarding this topic. ACT 10.0.3.182 Hotfix 1. All I am attempting to do is get a users emails (ACT mail client) and folders created in that Internet Mail account, transfered to a new computer with same App/DB version 10.0.3.182 Hotfix 1 ( a new computer for that user).  The centralized database sits on a file server and 7 users access that same database, each having their own mail client locally on their systems.  

I have used the transfer email function on the old system, creating the ZIP file. I have attempted to restore that zip file on the new system, using the restore function within Mail client, it says complete, but the emails and folders do not show up??  I have run the transfer function on the old system 3 time, reflecting the possiblities of 'I am the only person'  & "I share this computer" (with the additional options of "I am the first person" and "Another person has already transferred" totaling 3 different ways of creating the transfer file.

I have attempted to restore on the new system using the 3 different files created by the transfer function on the new system, but each restore does not reflect the email/directory structure on the old system.

ANY suggestions ???

thanx in advance