Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfering ACT to new laptop

Transfering ACT to new laptop

My life support system died this week and I have a temp laptop which I am trying to get my ACT license running on (2005 V7) with no luck to this point. While I am waiting for my replacement system to come in which will be about a week I need access to my database. I have reinstalled my old version 2000 and then ran the upgrade for 2005 so the software is in place. When I go to select the .pad file which is my database I get an error stating that it cannot open the file. Am I just not point to the right file here? If anyone can help please let me know asap and you can also email me at bnemec@execpc.com

Thanx

Bruce

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Transfering ACT to new laptop

Assuming you are running the same ACT! version as before. The zip file you have can be restored by choosing File Restore, and then the second option, Restore As. Have a look at the Knowledgebase article http://tinyurl.com/cl6z6j
Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

Neil;

Thank you for the option. Unfortunately my database was not backed up into a ZIP file prior to my system crashing (at least not for the latest database). Therefore I am trying to simply move the actual database files into the correct folder and relink the software to the main file. I have done this before when moving to a new system but have not had these kinds of problems in getting the file to open. Any assistance that you can provide (or anyone else) relating to simply relocating the database files would be helpful.

Thanx

Bruce

Copper Elite Contributor

OK, the database consists of 3 items, 2 files (.adf and .alf) and a folder, each with the "name-of-database" in front. These files and folder are moved to the default folders on your PC (typically in My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows\databases). Open ACT! and select File Open, change the file type to .adf and select your .adf file. ACT! should then verify the database and open it.

See this KB article http://tinyurl.com/dfxdgp

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au