Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfer database for ACT!2007 to new PC with SAGE ACT Pro 2011

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Transfer database for ACT!2007 to new PC with SAGE ACT Pro 2011

[ Edited ]

Can you tell me how to transfer act database from a PC with XP Professional to a new PC windows 7 premium as I am getting the following message?

"the database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server"

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author graeme_pnd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Transfer database for ACT!2007 to new PC with SAGE ACT Pro 2011

Sorry for the delay Greg,

I have been flat out but just prior to your response I copied the file to the c drive, copied  to a USB and was able to import the file after copying it to the C deive in the new PC. Not sure why it worked but thankful it did.

Thanks

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

If you manually copied the ACT! database files (ADF, ALF, PAD, 'database files' folder) from one machine to the other, the issue is most likely that you are using the original PAD file which is still pointing to the original computer.  To resolve this: delete the PAD file associated with your database, then open the database using the ADF file (File > Open Database > change 'Files of Type' from PAD to ADF > select appropriate file).

The generally recommended process is to use the Backup and Restore functions.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 19211

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for that Greg,  I now get an error message"ACT.Data.DatabaseAccessException:The SQL databaseis not started....Verify that the instance name is correct and the SQL server is configured toallow remote connections......" and then goes on for full page of different things

Reading the instructions it appears that this may be because I backed up to an external back up drive and the file path is several folders deep?

Platinum Super Contributor

First you will want to verify that SQL and ACT! are installed and communicating correctly.  To do this:

- create a folder on the C: drive called 'ACT DB' (as an example)

- launch ACT! and select New Database

- point the new database to the folder created on the C: drive (call the database 'TestDatabase')

- is it successful?

If yes, copy the files from your backup/external drive to the folder on the C: drive (copy the ADF, ALF, and 'database files' folder).  Launch ACT! and open the database using the ADF file (change 'Files of Type' to ADF on the Open Database screen).

If no, what is the error you receive when creating the new database?

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author graeme_pnd
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Sorry for the delay Greg,

I have been flat out but just prior to your response I copied the file to the c drive, copied  to a USB and was able to import the file after copying it to the C deive in the new PC. Not sure why it worked but thankful it did.

Thanks