Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfer Databases

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Transfer Databases

I posted a couple of days ago that I was unable to open my ACT Database.  I kept getting an error message that said "Resolution of the Dependency failed ..."  None of the suggested fixes worked.  I finally decided that I needed to do a complete recovery of my system and restore it to factory condition.  I have just reinstalled ACT! Pro 2013 on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Needless to say, since I was unable to open my ACT database before wiping it out, I was unable to backup my database.  Unfortunately, it has been a while since I backed it up.  (I know, "Let this serve as a lesson" is what you're probably saying.)  But I did copy my whole ACT! Folder (with all of the subfolders) from my Documents folder.  I have it all saved to a thumb drive.  My question is: Which files do I copy over?  And, into which folders in the new installation do I copy them into?  Please be specific since there are several ACT Data folders and several Database folders.  Grateful for any guidance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Slapshot
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Transfer Databases

Greg, you are a lifesaver!  A million thank yous.  I can't tell you how appreciative I am.  I have years of my life and history stored in my ACT database.  And you helped me restore it.  Blessings to you.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

The files you will need are the ADF, ALF, and 'database files' folder.  You do not need the PAD file, it is only a pointer file and will be recreated when the database is opened.

The default location for a database is:

- Windows XP/Windows Server 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\My Documents\Act\Act Data\Databases

- Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows Server 2008: C:\Users\*username*\My Documents\Act\Act Data\Databases

The files can be placed in any location, but recommend you put them in default locations.  When opening the database, use the ADF file (change the 'Files of type' to ADF and browse to locate the file).

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author Slapshot
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Greg, you are a lifesaver!  A million thank yous.  I can't tell you how appreciative I am.  I have years of my life and history stored in my ACT database.  And you helped me restore it.  Blessings to you.

Platinum Super Contributor

I'm just glad to know you are up and running again! Thank you for posting the update.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

It is I who thank you.