Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfer Database to New Computer

Transfer Database to New Computer

I have a new computer that I've shifted my registration over to. I have been trying to get my database transferred to the new computer. The database files are located in the string of  ...My Documents/Act/Act for Windows 10/Databases.  When viewing the files in Windows explorer (Win 7 64), the database files are shown with the Act handshake icon.

When I open Act and try to open an existing database, i click on the link for "the database i want is not listed".  When searching through the browse Win explorer to the database folder, the files are not shown. How do I get the files to open?

Note: I do have access to the old computer and could retrieve the files from the old computer through either sharing or a thumbdrive. What is going to be the best method of retrieving the databases on my new computer?  Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Transfer Database to New Computer

Try opening the database with the ADF file rather than the PAD file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Probably the easiest way is to backup the database on your "old" machine and then restore it to the new.  Here is a KB article that should help - http://bit.ly/15zZhrh 

Michelle Scott
-----------------------
3Leaf CRM
mscott@3leafcrm.com
www.3leafcrm.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Worked!! You guys are the best. That's why I only use ACT for my contact management.