Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfer Act 2011 Premium data to ACT Pro 2012 on a different computer

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Transfer Act 2011 Premium data to ACT Pro 2012 on a different computer

How can I transfer Act 2011 Premium data to ACT Pro 2012 on a different computer?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Transfer Act 2011 Premium data to ACT Pro 2012 on a different computer

Since you are getting the message about the database being a 'Premium' format, that would indicate that the database has been attached to Microsoft SQL.  On the 2012 Pro computer, you can use the ACTDiag utility to downgrade the database.  Within the 'downgrade' article are steps for using ACTDiag (Method 2): KB Article 28079

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies

Here is an article with instructions for saving your database in the Pro format: KB Article 28079

You can then use these instructions to move the Pro formatted copy to the new computer: KB Article 23392

Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Super Contributor

For those who aren;t going to look at the KBs...

The gist is that you can save a copy of the 2011 Premium database from the file menu "Save Copy As" in ACT! 2011.  This dialog let's you select to save the copy as a "Pro" version database.

You then copy that database to the other machine and when you open the database in ACT! 2012, it will upgrade it.

This doesn't work. I tried it several times, copying the 2011 Premium data as Pro data, following these instructions exactly and each time I attempt to open the database in 2012 Pro. I get a message saying that the data was created in Premium and can olny be opened in Premium. I know that it should work, but has anyone actually tried it?
Silver Super Contributor

After you do the save copy as and save it as a Pro database make sure you don't open it before you copy it over to the other computer.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

I have done EXACTLY as you suggest and EXACTLY as the KB article suggests.  The 2011 Premium data was saved as Pro  then immediately copied onto a USB stick and transferred to the new computer that has Pro 2012.  The data was never opened anywhere in between, and still I get the error message when I attempt to open the data in Pro 2012 that the data was created in Premium and must be run in Premium.  I am guessing that the problem is with my Premium 2011.  It is not doing the Save as Pro properly.

In your post are you saying that is the way it should work or are you saying that you have actually done a save as Pro in Premium 2011 and successfully transferred that saved data to Pro 2012?

I am beginning to think that the 2011 Premium Save as Pro, simply does not work.

This is becoming a huge waste of time.  If the program can't do it, I will try to return my Pro 2012 to Sage for a refund and just stay with Premium 2011 for ever, or until it stops working.

Thank you for your suggestions, but I believe that we are simply desaling with a bug in the Sage software.

Silver Super Contributor

I think I have exported to Pro from ACT! 2011 but I can't say for sure.  It isn't something I do that often.  I know that I did it once at least in the last year but I may have been exporting from ACT! 2012 Premium to ACT! 2012 Pro.  I don't remember anyone saying it didn't work in ACT! 2011 though and I think I would have heard about it if it didn't work.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Platinum Elite Contributor

I've actually done the conversion from premium to pro several times with out any problem. In fact I've used a trick to create a pro backup so I can move the backup file rather than the individual files. The trick I use is that after I do the premium to pro conversion I start to open the pro version. It prompts that the database needs conversion and whats to know if I want to create a backup. I answer yes and let it create the backup but the I cancel the conversion after the backup is created. Move the  backup to the other system and do a restore as of the database. ACT! will install the database on the new system and should open with no problems.

By the way, when you moved the individual files, did you try to open the database with the PAD file or the ADF file? You need to open the moved databse with the ADF file to create a valid PAD file for the pro database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Since you are getting the message about the database being a 'Premium' format, that would indicate that the database has been attached to Microsoft SQL.  On the 2012 Pro computer, you can use the ACTDiag utility to downgrade the database.  Within the 'downgrade' article are steps for using ACTDiag (Method 2): KB Article 28079

Greg Martin
Sage

Once I have exported, exactly what files should I copy from the old computer to the new one?

I have been copying 3 files from the Databases folder.  They are .adf, .alf and .pad.  I then copy a folder that is directly under Databases, called CoName-DatabaseFiles and all its sub folders.

Should I be copying the .pad file or should I let 2012 Pro create its own .pad file?