Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Transfer ACT contacts to another PC

Transfer ACT contacts to another PC

I am very new to ACT.  I have ACT 2009 on a laptop PC that runs on Windows Vista, I'd like to transfer my whole program which is only 33 contacts from this PC to another PC that runs on Windows XP that I have just installed ACT 2009 on. I don't want to remove, I just want to copy and transfer the contacts.  I don't have email or any thing else configured on the first ACT program so it is a very simple program at this point, I don't think the difference in Windows programs should be a problem.  Can I down load the contacts to a flash drive to transfer them.  If so how do I do this?  If this can't be done with a flash drive what is the best way to transfer my information from one PC to another PC in ACT?

I would very much appreciate help with this, this is my work computer and I have to take the laptop computer in for work and I am trying to transfer the program so I can continue working while the laptop is gone for a few weeks.  Then I want to transfer that work back to the laptop when it comes back.

Is there anyone that can tell me step by step how to do this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Transfer ACT contacts to another PC

I have a similar question. How do I transger my database from one computer to another.?
Nickel Contributor

will this be an ongoing thing once the computer comes back after a few weeks? or just a temporary situation?  If it will just be a one time deal then the easiest way would be to just transfer over a backup of the database.

Go to your database and under file|backup select database and create a backup.

Copy this backup file to a thumb drive and copy it over to your other computer

On the new computer, Select Restore|Database and this is important, select "restore as" and give it a new name. you wont be able to use the same exact name on the new computer.

Use the new machine until your laptop comes back and then reverse the process...

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

First I want to thank Matt P in Atlanta for helping me with this problem. The "restore as"  was very important!!  I tried your suggestion and it worked!!

Now I am trying to reverse the process and its not working.  I must be leaving something simple out.  Could you please give me step by step instructions on how to do this.  I have gotten very frustrated, and it is taking way to much time that I don't have right now.  I must be trying to long or to hard???!!   I would be so appreciative if you or someone could help me out on this again.  So I can get all my contact and information from the last few days back into my original laptop for work.

Thanks in advance!

Nickel Contributor

you just follow the same procedure. create a backup file of the temp database and copy it over to the laptop. now perform the restore as function. just make sure you come up with a new name for the database. youll end up with 2 databases on your original laptop. once youve got the updated version restored and running fine, you can log into the older database and delete it if you'd like.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Re: Transfer ACT contacts to another PC- Still have problems??

OK now I am really frustrated (with my self!!) Please I need Help!

I backed my files up to the thumb drive, I know they are on there because I checked them, I opened it up and they are all there.

I have done every thing just as you say to but after clicking

file

restore

database

check restore as

*now this is where the problem starts: it says to "Select database file to restore"  then says " restore database (zipfile): then there is an open box with "Browse" next to it

if I click on Browse.

I get 2 folders to choose from, 1 is the zip folder called "ACT Personal Files" says it is a compressed zip folder ( but it only has 684 KB in it) and I know the zip folder with the updates had 14613 KB in it and it had a different name, 2nd File is called "Documents"

what have I done wrong??? Where is my correct file, I'm not that advanced of a computer person but I looked a few places.

If I double click on 1st zip file with ACT on it, then it goes to a new window that says" Restore data base as:" then it says "Restore data base (zip file):

and in an open box a file has dropped in it it is called

C:\Users\Lise\Documents\ACT\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Backup\Personel Files.zip

and the file I renamed is called "Contacts_2_16_2009" or close to this

If I continue & ck OK  I get a new window where I rename the data base. If I do this & give the new data base a "New Name", then it says "To Location: with an open box & the above file is dropped in here. The C:\Users\Lise\Documents\ etc.

Then if I click OK - every time it says " the file you are attempting to restore does not containe ACT! backup in it!

Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong & where are my backed up files?

Again I appreciate your help!!! If I can be helped

Thanks again

Nickel Contributor

When doing your backup, are you backing up tghe database? or the personal files? Make sure you're backing up the database. it should create just one zip file. thats the one you copy to the other machine and "restore as" with a new name.

click on file|restore|database

another window pops up. select "restore as"

now browse to the zip file (your backup you just created)

give it a new name in the next window and let it restore.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

I did and it worked. I backed up to an external hard drive, (external storage). I hooked up the external hard drive and then I hooked up the external hard drive to the new computer, and I "Restor As" from the external hard drive. I do not know if this will help.

Vera

Nickel Contributor

Thats exactly what cmm.apc is trying to do.  Hes using a thumbdrive as his "external drive" and seems to be running into a stumbling block coming back to the original. Hopefully he gets back to us soon with an update onhis progress.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Hello: I would like to copy my ACT 2005 database to another computer and merge the data into another ACT database without deleting the contacts on the other computer. Can this be accomplished?

Thank you,
Gary