Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tracking former employers?

Copper Contributor

Tracking former employers?

In my business(recruiting);it is very important to track a contact's former employer/s.  What is the best way to do this in Act 2011?

Create a new field or use an existing area such as groups/companies?  Contacts can have from 0 - 5+ previous employers.

Looking for suggestions/help.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Tracking former employers?

I think using the relationships tab is best for that.

My response is based on the fact that both the companies and the contacts are in your db. I use this extensively to relate the manufacturer reps I deal with to their account target list.
John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

The relationships tab would be the best way to associate a former employee with a contact, but only if you want those employers as contacts in your database. Depending on how much information you want on these employers, you can either use one or two fields, or you can create a new tab for former employers, then several new fields under that tab. An additional option would be to put those employers under the Secondary Contacts tab of the contact.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

One contact could have many past employers and one company could have hundreds of past employees.  What then?

Example, would want to lookup/search all contacts in my dB that used to work for Microsoft.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The best opetion is to use one of the custom one-to-many table plugins. This allows defining a custom table where you could list the previous employers. As this is a one-to-many table each could list as many individual previous employers as required. You might also want a separate custom table for job skills. while the capability is built into the ACT! program you would need a third party product to provide the user interface. I use TopLine Designer but there are others such as the Durkin Toolkit.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129