Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tracking MIles traveled using Act

Tuned Listener

Tracking MIles traveled using Act

Hello.

I have been using the meetings item to log and schedule each and every business meeting I do....and, at the end of the year, I go back and add in the miles  traveled for each trip/every day and present the total to my accountant to use for business miles traveled. It has worked well but it sure is tedious!

Basically, if I have 2 regular stops daily I enter the stops and the miles in automatically via the recurring deal.

However, many days there are 4 or 5 stops/trips and the idea of doing it each week is even more tedious.

In addition, at EOY I have to manually prepare a report and then export to excel to do the actual miles entries. Once they are entered, the total is obvious.

I am writing to see if there is some way to make this easier in Act? QB has some sort of this but it is very cumbersome, and, seeing as I still have to double entry the data in both Act and Qb, I don't want to use QB. I wish the Act link worked out for me, but....

I would appreciate and and all assistance.

Thank You!

Bronze Contributor

Re: Tracking MIles traveled using Act

Hi Brickrow.  I too have to keep up with mileage.  I would like to suggest that your excel approach may be the best.

Here's what I do.  I use my Blackberry, but any phone that can take text information will work.  At the beginning of each day I look at the trip mileage in the car and record that on my phone in a file called "mileage".  Fortunately my Blackberry recognizes "DS" as a date time stamp.  I enter that and then the mileage from the day before.  At least once a week I enter that information into my expense report (but it could be an Excel spreadsheet).  Then at the EOY you have all the information you need.

Hope this helped.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Tuned Listener

John

Thanks for the note back. I too use the BBerry but only as a carry-with Act Calendar. My accountant wants me to record as much data about each trip as possible to include where I go and how many miles it takes. They feel it will make any appearance regarding mileage with IRS more documented. I do record each gas fill-up with miles travelled and costs-it appears that would also be a tracking mechanism. I will give the BBerry DS logging a look-see-it has possibilities. Sometimes I wonder if it just would be so much easier just to get a job!

Again, I appreciate the note.

Tuned Listener

Hi Jack and back to you after a while as I just manually completed my chart for this year!

Have you seen this method stand up in an audit?

They seem to want details of the where and what type and are not satisfied with just recording odometer readings. I wish they would as it would be so much easier.

Act even gives me grief when trying to get the Activities into a text file which I then bring into excel to manually edit. I am in the process of writing some code to pick out the repeated destinations and automatically assigning the miles. That will take care of a lot. Then, I either will have to add more as precoded or deal wiht the remainder manually.

Thanks for the note.

Joe

Bronze Contributor

I had an idea reading through the thread for a work around: 

Why not use the Opportunities tab?

Create a profile called "Mileage"

Create 2 opportunity number fields:  Begin and End (mileage) and add to the opportunity layout.  (Or get creative and add a 3rd field to do the math on the other two fields - I don't know how to do that.)

Add a stage to the sales stage called Mileage

Create an opportunity and use the fields as such:

Opportunity Name:  Details like cust name

Begin:  Beginning mileage

End:  Ending mileage

Stage:  Mileage

Then at the end of the year, you could list all the opportunities with the sales stage as "mileage" and export them to Excel.  You will then do the math in Excel to calculate the totals. 

You then have a nice neat spreadsheet to present to your accountant.

John Purdy
Tuned Listener

John

This sounds like it has distinct possibilities!

However, I just use Act and don't know the 1st thing about opportunities or how they/it would work. In fact, I don't even know how to set up a new profile!

I cannot find where Help addresses it either!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Again!

Joe

Bronze Contributor

Hi Joe.

It sounds like you are a beginner with ACT.  If so, my suggestion might be a little complicated.  Again, if you are new, create a new or "empty" db and play around with it.  You should be able to find information on creating contacts and about opportunities.

Also, if new, go to the knowledge center for ACT:  http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=*yX29W...=

Good luck.

John Purdy
Bronze Super Contributor

Hello my name is Jim Durkin and I have developed add-ons for ACT! called Task List Plus and Calendar View Plus for ACT!. With either of these add-ons you can extend the activity table by adding new field such as Mileage, billable hours or actual hours on site,  These products allow you to also customize the "Edit Activity" window so you can data enter these fields right next to the the native activity fields like Activity Type or Start/end time.

Task List Plus has the additional feature of displaying and summing these extended fields on the task list view.  So you can immediately view, report or export to excel you mileage total by day, week, month or year. You can even subgroups your reports by activity type of any other activity or extended fields.

Download the free trials at http://durkincomputing.com

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin