Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Title field automatically picks up surname?

Title field automatically picks up surname?

Hi all,

The title field on our database seems to be automatically picking up the lastname part of the Contact field instead of a value from the drop-down list assigned to it (e.g. Mr / Mrs etc).

I checked the field and it's just a normal text field with a drop-down list assigned.  I can't see any reason why it would be doing this.

Has anyone come across this before?  Any ideas welcomed!

Cheers,

Martine

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Title field automatically picks up surname?

On the contact detail screen, right click on the Title field and look at the menu presented.  Near the bottom of the menu will be a 'Lookup xxxx' - where xxxx is equal to the field name.  If it does not say 'Lookup Title', then the fields and labels on your layout are incorrectly lined up.
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks very much for that. Greg.

I've checked the drop down menu, and it does say 'Lookup Title'.  Any other ideas on this one?

Many thanks,

Martine

Has the Title field populated itself on every contact?  You can check this by going to the Contact List view > add the field Title to the column (View menu > Customize Columns option) > then scroll through the list.

What happens if you create a new contact?  Does it populate the Title at that point with the last name?

Do you have any add-ons for Act!?

Also, open the demo database and see if the same behavior happens in it.  You shouldn't need it, but the username for the demo is 'Chris Huffman' and there is no password.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

The title field has not populated itself on every contact, but it does auto-populate with the last name value every time you add a new one.

We don't have any add-ons for Act at all.

I don't have access to the Demo database at the moment but will try to check that later on today.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks,

Martine

If this behavior isn't present in the Demo, in your main database try running the Check and Repair option found under Tools > Database Maintenance.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Super Contributor

Hello;

I may be missing something in all the posts above - but the salutation preferences are set from the first pane under "Preferences".  The salutation field auto populates based on choices made here for all new contacts created.

Hope this solves  your problem.