Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tips for Trade Shows

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Tips for Trade Shows

How can ACT best be used for Trade Shows?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author tomhinz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Tips for Trade Shows

Here is the BIG relationship and solution feature of Act and trade shows that will make you stand out from all the rest of the vendors, it came from my work with a couple of companies.  You create a letter – before you go to the show and you send it out within hours of the person visiting the booth or when you return to your office.  You start the letter with, “At the Houston Oil and Gas Show you requested information about our 407 Helicopter, enclosed is the latest technical data. I will be calling you within 3 days to talk your requirements in the use of the 407 in your service to off shore oil rigs.”  

My customer was syncing their data every night, after the show, and each morning the marketing department had these letters out before lunch.  Often, the material arrived before the customer had returned from the show.  Having the letter ready works just as well for a Home and Garden Show, a nursery and landscape show or a homebuilder’s convention.  It works for personal users and for big corporate customers.  It works because it shows you are serious about solving a problem and that your material is SPECIFIC not generic. 

Good luck – if this article is helpful please post a comment. The law of attraction says you will get more the more you give and that you will attract more the more you participate.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

There are two common types of trade show - the first is where you sign agreements with clients and the second is where most of the effort is about prospecting.  Each has a unique method of drawing people into the booth. 

For the people who sign agreements there are four tools in Act to get people into the booth.  In the trade show for prospecting there are three Secrets that Act can help to get people to visit your booth or for follow up after the show.

I would like to ask the forum visitors - "What is the best question you can ask a new prospect stopping at your booth?"

I have to go for now, but I will post the rest of the answer on Wednesday. Does anyone want to join in?  How do you use Act to increase trade show traffic?

Copper Contributor

Trade shows – what works Here are three things to remember about a trade show:  1. Someone in the building wants what you are selling. 2. You can lose business if you don’t call the people that want to buy in the first 7 days after the show…see #1. Giving stuff away at a show is a waste of time and money. 

#1. If you picked a good show then people wanting what you sell are going to show up at your booth, but like a grocery store, with thousands of products, you must make your offer stand out or in the few seconds people have to see your offer they will miss it, because of what you say. The Container Store is a Dallas institution, they have a great motto – “Can I help you?” is the dumbest question in retail!  Your trade show should be prepared to ask smart questions of the person that stops. One good question is, “What did you see in our booth that made you stop?” 

#2. If people stop at your booth and ask for information, you should find out if they have a plan for buying and what are their deadlines.  Often they will tell you if it is long range or within weeks.  Put your prospects in order of their purchase dates so you call them before they use an old vendor or decide not to buy after all.  

#3.  See number 2.  If you give away things or ask people to win a TV or a trip by giving you their card and you start calling people when you return to the office, most people say, “I wanted to win the TV, I have no interest in your product.”  This is how you lose the prospects in #2.  Your sales people become disappointed in the leads and think everyone is looking for the TV. Finally, who is going to read your sales material after they leave the trade show?  Offer to send it to them, get their name and address.  In today’s airplane security hassles, who will carry all those bags and flyers on the plane?

Brad Sandy

800sell.com

PS - One of the Secrets of ACT is that a trade show is designed to attract people and the Law of Attraction is seen thoughout the building. Using Act you can emulate the best stuff from trade shows and attract people that want relationships and solutions. Putting the Law of Attraction into your selling makes the trade show work better every year.

Solution
Accepted by topic author tomhinz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Here is the BIG relationship and solution feature of Act and trade shows that will make you stand out from all the rest of the vendors, it came from my work with a couple of companies.  You create a letter – before you go to the show and you send it out within hours of the person visiting the booth or when you return to your office.  You start the letter with, “At the Houston Oil and Gas Show you requested information about our 407 Helicopter, enclosed is the latest technical data. I will be calling you within 3 days to talk your requirements in the use of the 407 in your service to off shore oil rigs.”  

My customer was syncing their data every night, after the show, and each morning the marketing department had these letters out before lunch.  Often, the material arrived before the customer had returned from the show.  Having the letter ready works just as well for a Home and Garden Show, a nursery and landscape show or a homebuilder’s convention.  It works for personal users and for big corporate customers.  It works because it shows you are serious about solving a problem and that your material is SPECIFIC not generic. 

Good luck – if this article is helpful please post a comment. The law of attraction says you will get more the more you give and that you will attract more the more you participate.

Champion Listener

[ Edited ]

Brad,

Thanks for posting. I think this is great stuff and hit directly to the point.

To tomhinz, If Brad has answered your question, please use the new "Accepted Solution" feature by clicking 'Solution'.

Message Edited by neil_beam on 04-25-2008 06:07 PM
Copper Contributor

Selling at a trade show � There is a difference in preparing for a trade show that includes selling vs. the show, which is about prospecting, and lead generation. While a selling show can develop new prospects, many companies depend of an annual show like a retailer depends on Christmas or a florist on Valentines Day; so, you will do as much to prepare as these retailers and you will be rewarded for your efforts. The first rule is to KNOW who is attending the show and what is their exact buying goal. You do this with a combination of Act features � groups is an especially valuable tool. The second rule is to have your paperwork ready for the sale and again this is where a combination of Act and Word are used to create templates either as cover letters or order forms. The third rule is to know your competition for the selling show. Will you have to make any new offers to buyers because they walk the floor and see something better or will you be ahead of them? Do you have a field in Act for this question? Finally, you should have a set of letters to prepare for sales that can be accomplished before the show and for people that buy. If you do this properly you will have solved the Relationship and Solution problems I mention in other posts. One company using this system, closed 30% of their normal trade show sales, two weeks before the show�for the first time in their history. This allowed them great flexibility to promote their products. Brad Sandy 800sell.com

Neil Beam, Where do I find the the new "Accepted Solution" feature by clicking 'Solution', feature you talked about in your last email? 

Tom

Copper Contributor

tomhinz wrote:

Neil Beam, Where do I find the the new "Accepted Solution" feature by clicking 'Solution', feature you talked about in your last email? 

Tom

Hi,

If you click the big green checkbox with the word Solution? underneath it to the right of the post that solved your problem, it will be marked as the Solution. You can only pick one post in a thread, so just pick the one that most helped.

If you need more info on the feature, click ---> HERE.  

Copper Contributor

Nice Tips all around - I will wieght in when I come up with someting that tops the talent I've read here

New to the ACT Forums but a long time trade show vet and ACT! user.  We do more than 50 shows per year and I have been in the business for about 20 years.  I'm only 44 so I started pretty young.  I totally agree with bradsandy on the reaching out to prospects in a calculated manner for the best results. For virtually every show we have the following process.

Purchase last years attendee list: mail/email to them

Purchase this years preshow attendee list: mail/email to them

Email to every prospect who visits (send email at the end of each day or first thing the next day)

Do a post show mailing to all visitors who stopped by our booth

and lastly send a different message to all preshow attendees who did not stop by the booth

I have tried every combination of prospect touch point surrounding trade shows and this is by far the most effective. You may think that the expense of this process is excessive but if you are good at targeting prospects it will pay big dividends. Russ