Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tip - password reset - don't do what I did, LOL!

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Tip - password reset - don't do what I did, LOL!

Greetings everyone;

My company forces password changes for operating system, etc. every six months, so I usually rotate my passwords on several databases to match.  Six months ago when changing my ACT 2008 password, I simply deleted the last star (*) in the password fields and changed to the next character.  (I know, probably not the best password practice - but these things get difficult to remember, you know??)

Upon the next ACT start - my password was not recognized.  Tried everything and I was locked out - so I had to buy a reset utility to get back in.

Then yesterday, I changed passwords again in the same fashion with the same result - locked out of the database.  I realized it must be because I had only deleted the last * character and changed to the next incremental character.

So - just a heads up for folks to be sure to delete the entire contents of the password fields when updating passwords.

Perhaps ACT techs can design these fields to clear when clicked in?

Regards,

Willard.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author willardv
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Tip - password reset - don't do what I did, LOL!

The asterisk do not represent your password.  By default there are eight asterisk, no matter what your password is set to.  Since you deleted one, your password actually changed to ******* 

Please submit a feature request to be considered in a future version - http://www.act.com/community/feature/

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author willardv
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The asterisk do not represent your password.  By default there are eight asterisk, no matter what your password is set to.  Since you deleted one, your password actually changed to ******* 

Please submit a feature request to be considered in a future version - http://www.act.com/community/feature/

Copper Super Contributor

I will submit the suggestion.  Any chance this could be added to the knowledge base as well?  There was no information available regarding this situation when I made my initial error.

Thanks!

I will forward your suggestion to the knowledgebase team.

Thank you,