Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Time Spent Report

Time Spent Report

I notice that the History/Time Spent report does not sort the individual activities chronologically.  It seem to be a totally random listing.  Any idea how to sort by date?  Very odd that it would not do this by default.  Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Time Spent Report

That report doesn't apply any built in sort to the individual activities/histories.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

When I bought this program I never would have imagined that a 'time spent' report would not be able to sort by date.  It makes us look pretty amateur to customers when our activities are listed in no logical manner.  I might have thought that Sage would be embarrased by such a problem and want to fix it promptly but it sounds like this is something nobody cares about.  I'm finding it hard to consider ACT as a serious business program with shortcomings like this.  I'm also aware that a 'time spent' report for multiple contacts will list individual times but will not add up the times for a grand total.  So much potential to be a great program but an opportunity lost because of laziness.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The report templates provided, including the History Time Spent, are provided more as examples rather than the expectation that you would only use the report as is.Theoverall organization of the History Time Spent report is by contact record. The History subreport does not have a sort applied but it would be an easy modification to have it sort by date. Note however that wouldn't be the overall sort to the report, only the history entries for each contact. As to a global total of time spent, that can't be done automatically by the report generator. I believe it could be added to the report using VB Script programming as I have done similar things in other report templates.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I was so hopeful that we could use ACT as our primary business tool to maintain business relationships and to track activities and time spent with the various reports.  But seemingly ACT is not up to the task.  It still strikes me as an easy refinement that could be done if ACT were truly committed to being a serious business program.   It's the details that distinguish the first-rate from the second-rate.  We'll keep looking.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi David.

You can still use ACT! as your primary business tool.  Many of my clients and prospects have the same question.  When we can't solve their problem within the ACT! report writing feature, I offer them Stonefield Query as a solution.  Stonefield Query is an incredible reporting solution that has solved any reporting problem that any of my clients have had.  From simple basic problems like you seem to have to advanced slicing and dicing.  You can even queue it up to automatically run and email the reports to you.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Danielle Major

ACT! Certified Premier Trainer

561-208-3912

407-284-1459

www.kiconsultants.com

Danielle Major
Ki Consultants

Thank you for your suggestion here.  Much appreciated.