Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Those crazy templates!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Those crazy templates!

UGH!

I've been starting to work with templates by editing existing templates.

Everything was going OK until I switched views in Microsoft Word from web layout to print layout because the insert field pop-up window was lost (that's another problem) Switching views ruined EVERYTHING.

Now ALL my templates are broken.  Templates that were working don't work anymore. Instead of opening in Outlook they open in WORD print view.

I tried switching back to web layout and re-saving but that has no effect.

I knew this was fragile but I didn't think I could break EVERYTHING with one error. how do I un-break this?

Help!!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rocketmcs
3 weeks ago
Administrator

Re: Those crazy templates!

You can display and hide the field list from the addins tab in word - it may be that in web layout view, it's simply hiding the field list.

You can try this by going to the "Add-ins" tab along the top of Word:

word addins.png

Clicking on the Act! drop down - and selecting "Show Field List"

addins word.png

You'll need Act! open in the background, and logged in to your database, in order to see the field list though.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi Rocketmcs,

What versions of Act! and Office are you using?

You'll find the version of Act under Help > About Act! and you can get the office version from Outlook under File > Office Account > About Outlook (although this can be different on older versions).

[ Edited ]

What great questions...I'm sorry DUH!

i'm using Act 16.10.11.0 Hot Fix 1

Word 10

I'm learning how finicky Templates are; here's what I discovered.

1. Templates don't like it if you have a Word document open. If you have a word doc open when you launch a email from a template it becomes another Word doc not an email.
  2.  The add mail merge fields dialog box will appear when I'm in print view but WON'T appear in web view mode. (see attachment)
    The problem is that templates done in print mode don't work.
  3.  You can't manually insert a mail merge code Typing <First Name> doesn't work. So if the mail merge dialog box won't open you can't insert fields.

HERE'S THE QUESTION - What sequence of things to I have to do to get the mail merge box to appear AND for the templates to actually work.

i'm LOVING email templates but I wish it wasn't so fragile. 
Thank you so much for your help!!

Solution
Accepted by topic author rocketmcs
3 weeks ago
Administrator

You can display and hide the field list from the addins tab in word - it may be that in web layout view, it's simply hiding the field list.

You can try this by going to the "Add-ins" tab along the top of Word:

word addins.png

Clicking on the Act! drop down - and selecting "Show Field List"

addins word.png

You'll need Act! open in the background, and logged in to your database, in order to see the field list though.

Hope this helps.