Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The vaunted .Net technology and the brains behind them here.

Nickel Contributor

The vaunted .Net technology and the brains behind them here.

I work at a large corporation(unnamed) and yes they have billions. What I learned the other day is that the software they have can have "independent modules for each form they have within the database. 

What I mean by that is, for example, in ACT! we have a "schedule activity" form to fill in info and submit it to the task list etc.  At my corporation, "the schedule activity" form can be accessed with ease outside of the working database and be filled in WITHOUT the database being on.

Is there anyway "the brains" in Sage(and I mean that loosely)  can ever do something like that for this software?

I keep on hearing about the vaunted .Net technology being the wave of the future.  Can we mix this mytical wave of the future with the "mystical brains" at Sage and come up with some neat ideas for this drab software?  Something like what was mentioned above?

Sure my idea is nothing mystical, but hey, if I had the education,  I'd wipe Sage off the map with this ACT! software.

-P

Nickel Contributor

Re: The vaunted .Net technology and the brains behind them here.

asnt thre something called Side Act back in version 6 or thereabouts?  I've been using ACT since V7 so im not sure but I think there was somerthing then.

For now, look in the developer downloads for "Create Note Web Service and Sidebar Gadget."  This is apparently a Vista Sidebar Gadget and might be an example of the technology tyour looking for?  I know it's a note writer but i could see the possibility of several of these on the desktop.

I'm an XP user so i havent actually seen it. Someone with it running care to share experience?

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes!  I remember that, but even that was so cheaply done(common theme) they even had to get rid of that.

What I was referring to was to just put all those forms outside of ACT! and give us the ability to "quickly add info". The list would have the names(just like now) and the rest of the form would be the same. Brains!  Brains I tell you!!

Just the everyday guy makin a livin' runnin' circles around these corporate maniacs with their superegos.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-02-2008 04:46 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-02-2008 05:29 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

It's not the forms... you still need an application behind the form which has to be open.

While it's possible with the ACT! system (any programmer could do this with the SDK), I guess not enough users have requested it to make the development time worth it.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to sound too sarcastic, but I am guessing that the "preview pane" in the Notes/History tab was the most hotly demanded feature also?  I'm guessing that it took about 15 minutes and cost $15.00  to add as a feature and the proclaim to the world it's a "feature". I wouldn't be surprised if the same person submitted this request 50 times and now it's a "hot item". 

Why don't they work on something just as cheap to fix and that is:  curtains please:  The layout button displaying the name of the layout instead of just the word "layout".  Have Mercy Sage.  What, that might cost you $20.99?  Someone brilliant in the organization can show us the name of the dashboard layouts with a dropdown list in the dashboard section, but the main layouts we can't have the same thing?  Goodness. Spare us the excuses.  Excuses... That's all they are.

Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.....

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-03-2008 08:03 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-03-2008 08:05 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-03-2008 08:21 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-03-2008 08:22 AM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-03-2008 08:23 AM

patgenn123 wrote:

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I don't want to sound too sarcastic, but I am guessing that the "preview pane" in the Notes/History tab was the most hotly demanded feature also?  I'm guessing that it took about 15 minutes and cost $15.00  to add as a feature and the proclaim to the world it's a "feature". I wouldn't be surprised if the same person submitted this request 50 times and now it's a "hot item". 

I'm guessing you haven't done software development if you think a feature like that costs so little. Implementing any feature, other than the days of coding, takes much longer in testing.

Why don't they work on something just as cheap to fix and that is:  curtains please:  The layout button displaying the name of the layout instead of just the word "layout".  Have Mercy Sage.  What, that might cost you $20.99?  Someone brilliant in the organization can show us the name of the dashboard layouts with a dropdown list in the dashboard section, but the main layouts we can't have the same thing?  Goodness. Spare us the excuses.  Excuses... That's all they are.

Of the 8584832649327 possible features they could add (a rough estimate), it's a question of then prioritising them, determining the time and cost to develop the most imporant.

Why the layout name isn't in the button (it used to be in 6.0), I don' know. But it's likely they haven't received many requests for it because most people just use one layout and time was better spent on other items with more requests.

Have you posted a request for this?

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike,

That's precisely my point.  If there are 8584832649327 possible features,  what's the chance that something so simple could ever be listened to? For purely aesthetic reasons,  the layout button should tell the user what layout they are on!    

See I see it like this.  I don't know if these programmers actually work for Sage or are "farmed out",  but if it's there duty to do what Sage wants them to,  it certainly doesn't look like they work at all.  Sorry.  That's what I see.  Other than the most recent version,  there was little end over end improvement in the software for many years. In a lot of instances,  it seems like they got worse.

Most of these things are SO simple!

Here's another example,  If I have two different layouts,  I am FORCED to keep the tab bar the same height in each layout.  There is no independence in the layout height.  in other words,  I can't move one higher and the other one lower so I can have more information in one layout and less in the other.  Some layouts I want more in the non tab area, Some I want more info in the tabs. 

You know what?  I am actually looking into computer programming right now.  I will prove you wrong Mike.  When I become an expert on this,  I will show you how to run rings around their paid help.  What the heck do they talk about in their meetings?  How about their lunches?  I won't even tell you my guess.  You wouldn't want to know.

I am so interested in getting this software to work and am actually a "die hard" for this software that I will place the bet with Sage right now.  Even if they nearly cost me my living and my family life. Once I become an "expert", I will add 1 major feature every month with their SDK.

I will learn .net technology and then do it myself if they don't want to listen.

-P

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-04-2008 06:01 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-04-2008 06:16 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 05-04-2008 06:22 PM

patgenn123 wrote:

Mike,

That's precisely my point.  If there are 8584832649327 possible features,  what's the chance that something so simple could ever be listened to? For purely aesthetic reasons,  the layout button should tell the user what layout they are on!    

If a few people post it, and it's not to complex in the code, it might get added

See I see it like this.  I don't know if these programmers actually work for Sage or are "farmed out",  but if it's there duty to do what Sage wants them to,  it certainly doesn't look like they work at all.  Sorry.  That's what I see.  Other than the most recent version,  there was little end over end improvement in the software for many years. In a lot of instances,  it seems like they got worse.

The programmers work for Sage. There have been improvements in every version... even if they haven't been in areas of the product you use.

Here's another example,  If I have two different layouts,  I am FORCED to keep the tab bar the same height in each layout.  There is no independence in the layout height.  in other words,  I can't move one higher and the other one lower so I can have more information in one layout and less in the other.  Some layouts I want more in the non tab area, Some I want more info in the tabs. 

That would be a good feature to request also.

You know what?  I am actually looking into computer programming right now.  I will prove you wrong Mike.  When I become an expert on this,  I will show you how to run rings around their paid help.  What the heck do they talk about in their meetings?  How about their lunches?  I won't even tell you my guess.  You wouldn't want to know.

I am so interested in getting this software to work and am actually a "die hard" for this software that I will place the bet with Sage right now.  Even if they nearly cost me my living and my family life. Once I become an "expert", I will add 1 major feature every month with their SDK.

I will learn .net technology and then do it myself if they don't want to listen.

That's what add-on developers do all the time

Nickel Contributor

Can I post it a few times myself?

Look,  this this is greatest concept ever created for a contact manager. I am thoroughly convinced of this.  This is why I am so passionate about this software. It oozes out of me.

Why can't they see it themselves?  Why can't they fix/create/implement the smaller things?  The small things are so crucial.

I am just afraid that I will not be listened to and that's why I don't submit much.  I just get the feeling that I would have to do it 50 times under different names to get anything done.  I don't have the time.

-P

For each version, they have to do some big things and fix/add some smaller things... it's a question of how the suggestions get prioritised.

As to Sage listening, I'm in Australia and have been waiting for over 6 months on pricing for a client and several years for responses on bugs. I just get what I need from US resellers who are much better looked after than those of us in the regions outside North America.

The only way I get listened to is when I ask guys at Sage US, who are much better and pretty responsive.