Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The sql database instance is unavailable

The sql database instance is unavailable

Several days ago the computer hosting our ACT database, running Sage ACT! 2012 Premium, suffered a motherboard failure. Luckily the hard drives were not harmed and were able to be moved to a new machine. However now we are unable to access the database across the network only getting the error message "The SQL Database Instance is Unavailable" although we are able to access it fine locally from the machine hosting the database itself.

I have been through the knowledgebase and suggested solutions including Confirming no firewall/antivirus interferences, editing the .PAD file to point to the host IP address, Restarting SQL Server Browser and SQL Server )ACT7) services, and resetting the SQL password via actdiag.

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling ACT and SQL on both the host and other networked computers accessing the host.

I have also tried backing up and restoring the current database as well as attempting to restore a previous backup.

All of this has produced no results whatsoever, still getting the same error message. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: The sql database instance is unavailable

Hello DAC716,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Try 'unsharing', then re-share the database (Tools > Database Maintenance > Share Database). Then attempt to access from workstations.

Note: Make sure you are using the new PAD file created on the new host machine. The old PAD file would still be pointing to the old host.
Greg Martin
Sage