Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The order of a lookup

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

The order of a lookup

Hey guys, I'm looking up certain contacts in my ACT database (2012 premium), so I can make changes to them. When I edit a contact in the lookup it seems to jump place in the list. For example, I'll be looking at contact #6 in a 50 contact lookup. Then, after I change a field in the contact, it will jump from #6 to #47. So now I'll be looking at #47. As you can imagine this is very problematic when trying to systematically go through each individual contact to change a field or two. So my question is, how does ACT organize lookups? And, how do I change that mechanism?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cpacker
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: The order of a lookup

When you edit and change the field that the lookup query is based on, that will happen because the query is dynamic and remains in effect. Once you get the lookup list view, sort the list by a field you're not editing and that will fix the problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author cpacker
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

When you edit and change the field that the lookup query is based on, that will happen because the query is dynamic and remains in effect. Once you get the lookup list view, sort the list by a field you're not editing and that will fix the problem.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, thank you for the insight. I'm glad I know that now. However, that did not fix the problem this time around.

Perhaps I should provide some more details. I'm performing lookups "by example." And, you know the tabs at the bottom second half of the contact screen? - The ones that say things like "notes," "opportunities," and "groups/companies?" Well, I have one for "properties" since I'm in commercial real estate. One of the fields under this tab is for the address of the property. So when I lookup by example, I'm typing in "% [street name]" to pull up all properties on that street in my database. Once that populates, one of the columns in the list view displays the property city. So then I highlight all the properties that are within the city I'm working on, and create another lookup to isolate them. Finally, I go through those individually and make sure the property owner contact info and phone number are correct, which are fields in the top half of the contact screen and not under the "property" tab.

Despite the fact that I'm using the property's street name to lookup these records, and I'm not changing that field at all, do you know what may be causing this headache?

Nvm figured it out. Thank you again.