Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The following error occurred during backup. The backup was cancelled.

The following error occurred during backup. The backup was cancelled.

G'day everyone,

I am posting as I have an issue regarding my ACT backup.

Below are the details:

ACT Version: ACT 2013 PRO Version 15.1.108.0

Database State: Shared over LAN

Situation: I am trying to backup our company ACT database and receive the following error message:

"The following error occurred during backup. The backup was cancelled. The process canot access the file 'xx.tmp' because it is being used by another process"

Hence, the backup stops. This happens each and every time and I cannot backup the database.

Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Take care!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: The following error occurred during backup. The backup was cancelled.

This error message can occur if you are trying to backup your Act! database with Attachments while there is an attachment open.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Hi dshaw111,

Thanks for the reply.

But unfortunately, no, I am not backing up the database with attachments. I am just backing up the database with NO attachments.

As well, the database is locked and all other users have their ACT closed and their stations turned off. Hence, no one but me, on the host machine, is accessing the database.

Now, there is one interesting things that happens.

The size of the .adf is around 1.17GB. What seems to happen is that when the backup process stops it is because a .tmp file is being access by another user, which is not possible as there is no one else logged into the database or to the hosted machine. The .tmp file is located in the hosted machine's Windows Temp folder and the size of that file is 87GB.

So there are two bizarre things that happen;

1. That the .tmp file that is being created is being accessed by another user, which is not possible as no one else is logged on to the system and even if they were, they would not be accessing for .tmp file which is being created only during the backup process.

2. The size of the .tmp file is massive- approx. 87GB.

The .tmp file in question is being saved on the system drive C:, while the database is being hosted on a secondary drive on the hosted machine. I have moved the indicies to this secondary drive where the database is stored and hosted, as it has more space than the system C: drive.

Again, I am at a loss as I cannot backup the database, without doing a 'save as', and this issue has been going on for months. Our office is off over the Christmas & New Year break, which is why I am trying to solve this issue over the course of this week before everyone comes back.

Any help or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Bronze Super Contributor

It might be because the Act! backup process initially does the SQL backup on the C: drive then zips this up to wherever you have selected. The C: drive might run out of space with your large ADF file you mention.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Yes, it could be a disk space issue, although when the error pops up there is still over 90GB of disk space.

So I am not 100% certain that it is disk space as there is plenty of space remaining. But again there is something odd as the .tmp file that is being created is 87GB, which is massive in itself. Again, even with an 87 GB .tmp file that is created there is still over 90GB of space remaining.

If it is a disk space issue, other than replacing the drive with more space, I do have a secondary drive which hosts the database itself and have loads of space. Is there a way for the .tmp file and the SQL backup to write itself onto the secondary drive or any destination that I desire?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Take care!