Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup

The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup

Prior to reinstalling my Vista Home Premium OS a couple of months ago, (a Microsoft Office issue that could not be resolved), I backed up my active Act! 10 databases, and along with several non-active Act! 10 database backups, copied hem to an external hard drive as well as a CD. I'd recently downloaded a big patch from Act! was installed, (service pack? - I don't remember), from which the active databases were backed up.

Today, needing to access information on one of the non-active databases, I attempted to Restore the database, but it failed.

"The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup".

Looking into the zip file, I found an empty folder named "SuplementalAbruption", a "BackupStageManifest" file and another called "LIGWO". All of my other non-active zip files held similar files.  

The active database backups, however, differ.

Inside of the zip is a folder called "drive", inside of which are a set of folders organized as i would find in Windows Explorer; "users", "Documents", "Act", "Act for Windows 10", "Databases", "Homefront-database files", and finally the folders i normaly would see in my Act! backup; templates,  layouts, reportss and finally, "backup".

So where, in gawds name, are the rest of my files for the non-active databases? 

While not currently in use, they contain critical information. Does this have something to do with the service pack I'd downloaded, and is now preventing act from seeing them? All of the non-active database backups were from Act 10, though made prior to the big service pack download. 

I am now on ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182

Please help! ! !

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup

The actual database files in ACT! 10 were in the zip in a folder: filename-database files\Backup

Although it might be different depending on the patch.

If the Backup folder isn't there, the ZIP maybe corrupt... there are some tools to repair ZIP files that may work depending on how it has become corrupt

How big is the ZIP file? Does it look big enough that there's more than those empty folders?

There is content, as the zip files range from 14MB to 82MB. Yet, when I extracted a 14 MB zip file, the resulting folder is sized at only 838 bytes !

I've used act for many years, with never a problem when it came to creating backups  - then reimplementing them at a later date when needed. I'm at a loss here as to an explanation.  Having lost my job in a recent merger, these contain market segment contact info I've developed, which will help me land my next posting. It would be a real loss to me to no longer have access to this data as I attempt to re-enter the market.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup - RESOLVED

The solution came from doing a "RESTORE AS", instead of selecting "RESTORE".

This, from the tech person I spoke to at CRM solutions in Denver.

(Don't you just love when it's the simplest solution?!?)

Thank you, nonetheless, for your help. I am relieved beyond belief, and hope that doing this process with the other DB's will conclude with similar results.

Patrick in Chicago.

P.S.  I liked watching your women's swim team in the Olympics.  They did great! (Of course, that Michael Phelps guy from the USA did a pretty good job of holding his own.)  Thanks again, man.

Re: The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup - RESOLVED

Thanks for the info...I'll have to remember that

I've seen it say that the database wasn't from this machine and to use Restore_As. Might be something odd with that in 10.03

But also weird that you couldn't see the other files.

Glad it worked for you

Re: The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup - NOT RESOLVED

I am having the same problem with all my zip files - I tried Restore As and that did not work.  All that does is give me a 40-line error message starting with the omnious, Act.Data.Actdb.ActDbException: Cannot open backup device

Then I get an operating system error 2 (The system cannot find the specified file).

I have 6 years worth of data in these files - what could possiby be going on?  Ihave restored database files in the past.  Why should I be encountering this now?

Craig

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: The file you are attempting to restore does not contain an Act! backup - NOT RESOLVED

Craigj1,
If you are still experiencing the issue:
- If you are running Windows 7 or Vista, set ACT! to 'run as administrator' - then attempt the restore (Restore As). To set to 'run as administrator': close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select Properties > select Compatibility tab > enable 'Run this program as administrator' option at bottom of tab > click OK to save and close. Open ACT! as normal (double click icon).

- Are the backup files located physically on the computer on which you are attempting the restore? If not, copy one to the machine and test.

- Copy a backup file from the original location to a new location then attempt the restore from the new location.

- Attempt to restore to a new location. Create a folder on the C: drive (ex: ACTDB) and restore to that folder (Restore As).

- If you are able to access your production database, create a new backup and attempt to restore it (Restore As).
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the reply, Greg, but these suggestions didn't work either.

Platinum Super Contributor

Do you happen to have ACT! installed on another computer, on which you can attempt the restore?

To create a 'working' backup while trying to determine what is causing this issue, try using the File > Save Copy As option. You can use it to create a duplicate of the database.

Try creating a new database (File > New Database) > then backup and attempt to restore it (Restore As). Is that successful?
Greg Martin
Sage