Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The database <Database name> could not be accessed!

The database <Database name> could not be accessed!

[ Edited ]

Running ACT! v9 2007.  Have two fully-networked Windows XP Home PC's, both with same ACT version installed.

One of the PC's went cranky on us and Windows XP Home SP2 was recently re-installed on it. This machine was hosting the ACT database. The person who re-installed Windows on this PC backed up all the data files, ADF, PAD, all related data folders, etc. then re-opened them after re-installing ACT and its working fine on this PC. Problem is, the other networked XP Home PC cannot connect to the database.  When I copy the PAD file from the host PC to the other PC, then open it, I receive the following error:

The   database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software'

I've also tried directly opening the ADF and PAD file by going to the ACT Database shared folder in my network places to no avail.

The two machines are NOT being blocked by a firewall, or other protection software.  They can both see each other and pull up files and folder from each other just fine.  

Message Edited by DuneStar on 09-04-2008 10:46 AM

Re: The database <Database name> could not be accessed!

I just want to share my ACT! database... but still receive the same error, listed above... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

DuneStar,

There can be multiple causes if this error when sharing a database.

Follow the knowledge base article below:

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check ...

Copper Super Contributor

Wanted to rez this post, just because of a similar scare I just had with our server.  If you have an issue like this, one possibility is to open actdiage.exe, find your database, and detach it.  Then delete\rename the PAD file for your database, and in ACT open the ADF file for your database.  ACT should then attempt to "verify" the database, and allow you to login.

Just did this for ACT Premium 2011, HTH

Tuned Listener

Had the same issue so followed the link posted above

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

In my case , the SQL Server (ACT7) service  had not started , and once I followed the instructions to start it , ACT! was able to open.

Copper Contributor

This one worked for me after I received the same erroir message without any obvious reason. Thanks.

Copper Contributor

Most common cause of this error is the firewall on the host/server machine.

Turn it off and test access from the client.

If its not that, follow the article like others have suggested.

SS