Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

The database could not be accessed

New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United Kingdom

The database could not be accessed

Hello

Small workgroup of three PCs - one desktop & two laptops.  Desktop has the ACT! database and has folder shares.  The laptops access accordingly.

All has been just fine until ten days ago.  One laptop returns "The database <Database name> could not be accessed" error.

The laptop has not been out of the office for a few weeks and does not have a great deal of use.  The desktop folders can be seen and indeed the database can be seen – it just can’t be opened from the one laptop.

I happened to notice, last week, that the Norton anti-virus was out of date.  I renewed the subscription and found that I was able to access the database!  Fine, until mid this week and same error message.  I’ve read various threads but I have not come across one that answers my problem.

Help please!

Thank you.

 

Moderator
Posts: 4,395
Country: USA

Re: The database could not be accessed

Hello slam,

 

Try disabling Norton to see if it will allow access to the database.   Also take a look at the KB article below.

 

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check ...

New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United Kingdom

Re: The database could not be accessed

Hello. Thank you for the reply.

 

I disabled the Norton anti-virus and tried, without success.

 

I had previosuly looked at the various suggestions listed in the link to which you referred.  I tried one or two which might have been applicable, without success.

 

I am stuck, as the link to the host PC is fine.  Indeed, when trying to open the database, the one I want is listed - it just won't open, giving me the error message.

 

Any other ideas, please?

 

Thank you again.

New Member
Posts: 9
Country: United States

Re: The database could not be accessed

I have a similar setup as you Slam and have had this problem about six times over the past year and in fact am having it now.  I shut down my act and went home last night and this morning, it won't open.  I'm not sure if it's something Sage does to try to sell it's consulting services or if they just don't know how to code the SQL interface very well.  In either event, this will most likely be my last year using Sage products if they don't get this worked out.  It costs me money everytime I have to spend three hours troubleshooting the software.
New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United Kingdom

Re: The database could not be accessed

I know what you mean.  It costs me as well.I managed to resolve it (I think, see below) by copying and renaming database connections from another 'good' PC.  This all seemed to work and all has been quiet...

 

Telephone message for me this week: "Not sure that it's updating properly.  Please will you come in and check for us".

 

I know when it was first installed I thought that the connections were not very intuitive.  When the connection from this PC packed up I was not very clear just what to do (support contract had expired).  When renewing the Norton anti-virus restored the connection I was not very pleased that an out-of-date anti-virus should have that impact.  However when the connection dropped again shortly after I started to wonder... 

 

New Member
Posts: 9
Country: United States

Re: The database could not be accessed

My answer to this morning's problem was to restart SQL by going to services.msc

 

It was already running, but this is probably the seventh or eight time this has happened and there was no Microsoft update lastnight or anything like that.  It simply doesn't seem to interface well with SQL.  Up and running now though.

Bronze Super Contributor
Posts: 1,170
Country: USA

Re: The database could not be accessed

These issues are generally typically related to using desktop operating system as your 'server' in a peer-to-peer situation.  This is not something specific to Sage.  Rather, it is most often related to not clearly understanding correct network sharing permissions and settings, firewall settings, user error on the 'server' PC (like clicking 'Block' to firewall messages relating to Act! services that should be allowed) and as mentioned, ramifications of Anti-Virus programs on both the 'server' and the client PCs.

 

Sorry that you feel that it is an Act! issue.

 

There are many very valuable knowledge base documents on correctly configuring all of these components in the Act! Help site...

New Member
Posts: 4
Country: United Kingdom

Re: The database could not be accessed

I can’t accept that.  The network share is correctly set up, as are security and firewall settings.

 

 

As I stated in my first post: “All has been just fine until ten days ago.”   The ‘server’ PC is a central repository for just two other PCs.  All other required files are accessible and one PC is still able to access ACT correctly.  The other one lost its ACT connection at the same time as the anti-virus expired. On renewing the anti-virus the connection resumed, for a short while.  I know, it’s easy to jump to conclusions and I accept I may have done that.  However the events were just too close… 

 

Sorry that you feel that it is an Act! Issue.“  Of course it’s an ACT issue!  I have a PC suitably (and correctly) linked and working in a small workgroup which has lost its synchronisation to ACT.  I’m not sure what that is if it’s not an ACT issue.