Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The database ___ could not be accessed

The database ___ could not be accessed

I get the folllowing problem all of a sudden:

"The database ___ could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

I am running Windows 7 Professional and Act 2011 Pro

The issue is the database is not on a server but on my actual computer. I haven't opened the database in a few days and have done nothing different with my CPU. Neither of my co-workers can access the database either from their CPU either. Please help....

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: The database ___ could not be accessed

Check that your SQL Server Express service is running using Actdiag or using SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello amcdermott24,
Please see the following Knowledgebase article for more information and instructions:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Start, Run, Services.msc

Look for ACT 7 under Microsoft SQL

Right Click and Start

Most likely the issue

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

i realize this is an old thread but the solution helped me out! however, since doing this fix a week ago - which worked, i  just went to open ACT and it gave me the same error message again.  I had to go back in and manually start the service once again, even though when doing so previously i set it to automatic  .  is there another setting i'm missing?

I have this problem all the time with one of my clients. Every month or so, I get a call that they can no longer access the database on any of their machines, and I have to go in and manually fix it. It's pretty flaky if you ask me. I don't know if it's a Windows thing or an Act thing, but it is VERY annoying.

SO, if there is a permanent fix for this, I'd love to know about it.

- Trav

same problem persists- everytime i open up ACT i have to do this- any permanent solution?