Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The SQL database instance is unavailable

The SQL database instance is unavailable

We are trying to network our Act! Pro 2012 through a VPN so that it can be reached from a remote location. Every time I attempt to open the database, I get an error message stating: "The SQL Database instance is unavailable".

I have found this in the knowledgebase and followed the recomened steps but it does not resolve the problem.

Bronze Contributor

Re: The SQL database instance is unavailable

So have you made sure that the SQL instance is running on the local machine?

I assume that you have port forwarded the SQL ports 1433 and 1434 to the machine you are trying to open on?

Have you turned off the Firewall and Antivirus on both ends?

Does it open across the network on the local network without the VPN?

Have you thought about using a remote and synchronisation instead of using via VPN?

Can you outline the configuration as there are many ways this might be configured.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Re: The SQL database instance is unavailable

Paul, 

I would like to thank you for your response and thorughly appreciate your help. Below are the answers to your questions.

So have you made sure that the SQL instance is running on the local machine?  Yes

I assume that you have port forwarded the SQL ports 1433 and 1434 to the machine you are trying to open on? Doesn't this only matter when your connected to the local network rather than trying to connect remotely through a VPN?

Have you turned off the Firewall and Antivirus on both ends? Yes 

Does it open across the network on the local network without the VPN? Yes it opens great and works great through the local network. It only occurs when we try to connect remotely.

Have you thought about using a remote and synchronisation instead of using via VPN? see below

My only concern with syncronization rather than VPN is because we have a marketing assistant hired that works from home ensuring that all information is up to date and all marketing tasks are being completed. Many of these tasks need to happen in a very short period of time from when the contact is loaded or updated.

Can you outline the configuration as there are many ways this might be configured. hmmmmm,,, I will have to have my IT guy help me with this.