Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The Netherlands

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

The Netherlands

The members of the business community in the country near Belgium listed in Act's list of countries as "Netherlands" in fact customarily refer to themselves when corresponding in Engllish as "The Netherlands" (with the "The" at the beginning)

I therefore added "The Netherlands" to my list of countries, as they are somewhat sensitive to the issue (although way too polite to say so).  But now, when I add a contact from that country, Act assumes that the country code is "1", rather than the correct "31".  How can I correct this?

(This is, by the way, one of a whole host of nagging issues with Act that have persisted for years and that, collectively, are extremely frustrating.)

Roger

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author rconant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: The Netherlands

This is actually a Microsoft error that you can fix as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2472...

ACT! looks at these Windows keys to get the Country Code to match the Country Name

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author rconant
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

This is actually a Microsoft error that you can fix as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2472...

ACT! looks at these Windows keys to get the Country Code to match the Country Name

Copper Super Contributor

I'll be damned!  I never ever thought of checking the knowledge base for such an obscure issue.  (I don't take back the comment on "nagging issues" though, because there are plenty others.)  Many thanks.

Unfortunately, quite a few issues people this are ACT!'s fault are actually under Microsoft's control... hopefully any other issues you have are also as easy to resolve :-)
Copper Super Contributor

Perhaps some are, but many clearly are not.  Many years ago, I offered to Sage that I'd make a list of the most egregious of these so that they'd have them at hand to deal with in future upgrades.  They never responded, of course.

Copper Super Contributor

I did that (with respect to another issue).  I have been using Act since v. 1, when it was owned by Symantec.  Long experience with Sage has led me to be exceedingly cynical about its sensitivity to customer needs and therefore I am doubtful it'll make any difference.  (That said, I'll concede that recently there seems to have been a little increase in responsiveness.)

V1 wasn't Symantec. They did V3-V5

See: http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/history-of-act.html

I've found Sage not to bad with listening to the users... admitedly (like with Symantec) their first couple of versions after the re-write had issues and they had to address those before focusing on new features.

Copper Super Contributor

You are correct again!  I started using Act back in the DOS days, and I had quite forgotten that Symantec picked it up about when it went to Windows and GUI's.  I remember now, though. I have the impression that Symantec delivered pretty good customer service--far better than we ever experienced under Sage, although the product was far simpler and ergo less trouble-prone.  The long history is actually part of my problem.  I would have switched to something else (probably Outlook after it was improved to a satisfactory level) but I had so many years' data in Act that I didn't want to make the change, although I was often very tempted.

I won't say that I see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of customer service, but I do perceive a dim haze out there somewhere.

Roger

The Symantec versions were actually worse in a lot of ways... versions 5/6 (which most people think of as the good Symantec builds) were actually done by Interact Commerce