Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The ACT! 150

Copper Contributor

The ACT! 150

ACT! has a flaw (in my opinion) that baffles me and reminds me that it was designed by software engineers and not salespeople.

If you need to schedule an activity for 151 or more contacts in ACT!, it cannot be done.  ACT! limits you to scheduling to groups of 150 or less.  ACT! 6.0 didn't have this limitation, but the more robust version does (ACT! 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009).

How can such powerful software be so weak in such a fundamental area as scheduling?  I just wish they would fix it.  I recorded a quick overview of the issue that can be watched here: http://www.johnanthonygroup.com/videos.

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group
tony@johnanthonygroup.com
Bronze Contributor

Re: The ACT! 150

Tony I would love to know the reason you want to schedule a single activity for over 150 people as in my 20 years I hve never heard of anyone wanting to do this unless for a seminar and then you could create a group and schedule against the group.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Hi Paul,

I can use myself as an example.  I have over 1000 clients and I call all of my clients a minimum of once a year just to say hello.  Around the Christmas holidays I start planning and scheduling for the upcoming year and I lookup all of my clients and schedule a call to them; its a habit that I started using ACT 6 and has continued to this day.  Having stated that, I have ways to get around the issue; but teaching inexperience ACT users how to get around it isn't that easy.

Scheduling a call to all of them makes sure nobody ever slips through the cracks. 

I'm just curious why there is a limitation for such a robust piece of software?

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group
tony@johnanthonygroup.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Bronze Contributor

Tony,

I believe the limitation is there because most users schedule with a current lookup, maybe 20-30 at a time and this is the first I have heard of someone scheduling with the whole database, although when you say that in some ways you are right no one misses out.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I think it was a table/speed issue with SQL 2000 and .Net with ACT! 2005/2006, and there hasn't been enough requests to make the change... as you say, not many users would have a need for more
Copper Contributor

Hi All,

thanks for bringing this subject up.

Actually I have a database example where it would be necessary to schedule 150+ too:

We are doing "Marketing activity series" to selected customers several times per month:

1. mark one contact field if all conditions fit (customer type, market share, area, productrange) 

[nr. of contacts can vary from 50 to 3000]

2. send an information or advertisement fax

[done by XL export fax-no, addressdetails and customer-ID - fax processing done by agency]

3. import success/failure of fax transmission in contact history w/1x blanco attachment as link

[done by addon ImportIT]

4. feedback results are sampled by agency - callback requests are imported as follow up activity

all others are usually pre-scheduled in step 1 for a follow up fax or letter some weeks later.  

For those task we do not want to create a specific group each time (the marked field is fine enough),

so - yes - we have the need to schedule activity (series) for more than 150+ contacts too.

If that can be incorporated to behave like in Act6 again - I would appreciate it.

Martin Glueckmann
ACT since 1995 for 40+ user teams in
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux

Make sure you request it on the Feedback page... the more request, the more like the managers will look at what's involved in adding it.

I too routinely schedule an event for 500 to 800 contacts at once.  This limitation is a real pain for me.

Here is why I routinely do such a scheduling.  First of all, this is mostly a "To Do" for the express purpose of creating a history entry associated with an external function.  Say that I have a mailing that is being done by an outside print house.  I provided the artwork, now that they are ready to put th emailing together, they ask me for a delimited text file with all the addressing data.  I would export the data and eMail it to them.  I would then create a To Do event and then complete it to show that they were included in the mailing.  This has worked great for me since I first started using Act back in the DOS days of the early 90s!

How do I come up with my look up, you ask?  I start with either a large group of contacts or query based on specific field data.  I then filter out by specific data those not relavent to the mailing.  For example, maybe we have a pending contract that puts a hold to all further communications, or they are not interested in the particular product or service being addressed in the mailing.

Such adhoc campaigns are routine with mailings of between 200 and 3,500!  I have done it so many times and have the data so well laid out that I can filter down in less than a minute to the exact list of names I am looking for.

I guess my question to you is "Why would a more robust Act system limit my abilities at all?"