Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Terrible product support - Just tell me to look in the knowledge base

Terrible product support - Just tell me to look in the knowledge base

[ Edited ]
Hi, I use ACT 2007 for windows xp.  I have been using ACT without incident for about a year, that all changed a few days ago.  Now when I attempt to log into my Business_Contacts database, I am given an error message stating: that the database could not be accessed, please check network connections etc.  The database is stored on a local drive, so network connections have nothing to do with it.  I have made no changes to my computer between the time it was working and when it stopped working.  The backup will not restore and I have tried it several times.  Customer support (I use the term loosely) informed me that I would have to purchase a $199 support plan for them to even tell me if they could fix the problem.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.  Ironically this happened almost a year to the day after I activated the software. 

Message Edited by mcb51779 on 02-13-2008 08:48 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Database connection lost

Do you actually get to a log-in dialog? Have you tried opening the Business_Contacts.ADF file directly? Can you post the exact error text?

Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

Tried to figure out how to post a screenie, but no luck.  The exact message is "The database Business_Contacts could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Terrible product support

Have you checked all the suggestions listed at - http://tinyurl.com/2736ct

Paid tech support is for when the free knowledge base doesn't have the answer :-)

Note: SQL uses network pipes even when run on a local machine
Copper Contributor

Try opening ACT! and then doing File | Open Database, then change the "Files of type" to ACT! Database (*.ADF), and select your ADF file.

It could be that the link to the database as defined in your .PAD file has been altered.  You can open the .PAD file in notepad and view the <ACTDatabase> tag, specifically the host= and location= properties.  Make sure it looks something like the following instead of referencing a network path.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="Test" host="MyComputer" location="C:\Documents and Settings\jason\My Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 10\Databases" type="Sql" />

Rather than modifying the PAD file manually, the easy way is to open the .ADF file directly using ACT! which should regenerate a PAD file with correct local connection settings.

jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007

[ Edited ]
Thanks for all the help guys.  I think I figured it out.

Message Edited by mcb51779 on 02-12-2008 11:02 AM

Message Edited by mcb51779 on 02-12-2008 11:10 AM

Am having the EXACT same problem. Now to find out that I have no access to my client/prospect list/notes etc unless I pay them $239 to start ANOTHER support plan. Hostage? I'd say so.

Guess it's time to switch to another software company. Don't like this kind of treatment and not about to PAY for some "help" that isn't obviously there!!

GLComputing wrote:
Have you checked all the suggestions listed at - http://tinyurl.com/2736ct

Paid tech support is for when the free knowledge base doesn't have the answer :-)

Note: SQL uses network pipes even when run on a local machine

Found out how to fix my problem in here.  Hope it helps.

I do not know how to fix your problem; I too have had problems with my Act Database and was also informed that there is no customer support unless you pay.  I still have not been able to resolve my issues so all I can say is good luck.  I have been given surveys to do from Act and I have let them know that there is no support unless you pay money.  I told them I would not buy their software anymore.  Maybe if more of us did this, they would get the message.  I hope someone can help you here.

I found out how to fix my problem in the link above your post.