Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Terrible product support - Just tell me to look in the knowledge base

Re: Terrible product support

AMAZING!!!! Not one to believe in ghosts or even miracles, but somehow  I have access to my files again. Not sure what I did/didn't do, but.....

Thanks for the reply from all of you. I was in the process of trying the various steps provided. Nonetheless, it doesn't change the true lack of support by ACT! Sage. For a company that wants you to spend hard earned cash on annual updates AND 12-13 month support, as well...............................sorry folks. You're are missing the boat. I, for one, have had it with that way of doing business. I don't understand computers/programs or how to fix them. Actually reading the "instructions" - not only leading to huge headaches - can get "other things" so totally fouled up that you just dig yourself in even deeper.

Dealing with the response I got from ACT! Sage, it became evident that they are right in line with the other horrific experience we all get daily - the vast menu we receive when just trying to get a simple problem solved. Any inventors out there? You could make a HUGE bundle rectifying these every day common occurrances. Good luck to you all. Thanks again. 

The thing that really irritates me is that the customer support rep did not tell me to try the knowledge base first.  He justed wanted to get my $200, I guess.  I realize they can not support a product forever, but 30 days seems a little short.

The cost simply adds insult to misery. I can understand perhaps $50 or so after buying the upgrade. But there's no structure at any level - just $200+ period if you want help. Frankly dealing with stocks and bonds all day, I don't have the time or inclination to learn another career. Some of the "solutions" may as well be written in Mandarin for all the good it does me. One missed or ill gotten key stroke can nail your ability to do other things. I had to reload about 4-5 other programs the other day due to the confusion.

Small thought, but why didn't the sales rep tell you to upgrade to the 2008 edition, then get the free 30 days support. That would have lowered the cost to roughly $169+.................use the 30 support to get back your access and upgrade the verion from last year's.
Champion Listener

[ Edited ]
Folks - some great points raised in this thread that I've covered in a new blog artice

Dave van Toor

Message Edited by Dave_vT on 02-14-2008 09:51 AM

It is refreshing to see that someone in such high standing within the company actually monitors these boards and responds to the concerns of it's customers.  I read the blog and agree that there is no perfect solution to the problem.  It would be nice to have a link to the knowledge base within the help menu of ACT, just my 2 cents.  Thank you to everyone for taking the time to read my original post and for helping me solve my problem.

Re: Terrible product support - Just tell me to look in the knowledge base

I must agree that their support is absolutely deplorable - unless you give them money. Then, it becomes stellar. It has been well worth my investment.
Tuned Listener

Re: Terrible product support - Just tell me to look in the knowledge base

We just upgraded from ACT 6 to Dual Access 2008 Premium which includes the 12-month business care plan. I had a little problem where I could not test my ASP.NET impersonating user, so I called ACT! Tech Support(HA!) line. All this person did was keep pointing me at different tech articles and not walking me through anything. Nothing was helping. The last fix I was trying included having to go into the registry and change a couple of keys and even adding a new key. Very dangerous stuff to be doing to say the least and requiring much precaution. The person then tells me he needs to go so he can take other calls and leaves me to my dangerous regediting on my own. I do tech support for a living and I know I would be so written-up for treating a customer this way. This forum is a godsend.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi Dave I, too, discovered that the 30-day included support for ACT! 2008 Standard was too short for my purposes. In my case, with the help of forum members, I was able to resolve the issues that were preventing the program from operating correctly. Chalk one up for the forum service that you provide. That said, 30-days means that the user better be all over the program from the get-go. I wasn't, and it could have been an unnecessarily expensive error. I didn't get to my problems in ACT! 2008 because I became pre-occupied with my own business problems, instead. That wasn't your problem; it was mine. However, keep in mind, that I want vendors that treat my problems as their problems. And, at this point, I am acutely aware that this isn't the case with Sage; it will be factored into my next purchasing decision. Fortunately, for me, this episode was just for my home-office copies of ACT! and not for my office personnel. My suggestion: if the 30-day free support policy is that important to you, how about allowing one (1) freebie support resolution after the 30-day grace period expires if the user hasn't already used the support service within the 30-day grace period? And this could be handled by e-mail rather than by telephone which, I think, would reduce your cost.

Message Edited by Steve on 02-14-2008 04:10 PM
Champion Listener

[ Edited ]
Great suggestion Steve, and it follows a point I have a lot of empathy for.  We are currently evaluating our support policies (partly in context of the feedback we're receiving on this community), and will see if we can accommodate this. 

To your point about the type of business Sage CRM solutions is, I hope you can infer from both the launch and moderation of this community, and my responses to date, the type of business I intend this division to be.  Thank you for participating in the attainment of that vision.

Dave

Message Edited by Dave_vT on 02-15-2008 03:48 AM