Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Templates do not sync

Tuned Listener

Templates do not sync

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with one of our computers here. Whenever we update the templates, I have to manually copy the templates folder on the server and paste and replace the templates folder on this one user's machine because it's not getting updated.

Thank you,

Celeste

ACT Administrator/User

<Edited title after moving reply to own thread.>

Message Edited by dlunceford on 06-01-2009 10:59 AM

Re: Templates do not sync

Hello Celeste,

Which version of ACT! are you using?  Does this happen on all the templates?

Copper Contributor

I have the same/similar issue.

If I create a new template on a Remote machine it will synch to all users (main DB usres and remote)

Changes to that template (or any existing template) do not however synch.

Using ACT 11.1 Hotfix 1

What seems to happen is that other remote usres get W000123.tmp files showing the correct time and date of the modified .adt but the adt remains as per the original synch.  My PC however does not have any .TMP files and the .ADT is updated. I need to email this file and have the remote users update it.

I am using Vista and Word 2007.

I am having a similar issue.  When i update templates on the main database, then sync my remote databases, the remote databases do not get the new templates which were created on the Main Database.  Is there a way to fix this or have the new templates pushed down to all the remote databases when they are sync'd?
Bronze Super Contributor

Are you modifiying an existing template, and that is not syncing?  Or, are you creating a whole new template, and those do not sync?

Best practice would really be that if you need to modify it and save to a new name, indicating a newer version in the file name, i.e.:  WelcomeLetter-v2. WelcomeLetter-v3, etc.

If you follow this practice, and make sure that your users understand what the workflow is to be, this should help avoid the sync issues and potentials for version ambiguities that can result  from modifying existing templates w/o changing the name.  I.e. - how do you know if the end user has the updated file or not?  How does he/she know?  Appending a version number on any of the Act! supplemental files is typically a good idea...

One place this can be an issue is where you add a report or template to a menu...

Copper Contributor

Hi Scott,

Your suggestion is a good one and I have been doing something similar.

There are issues with this..for example I am using Outlook Plus which is a 3rd party add on that requires you to set up the templtes you want to use and so desireably I would like o keep the same name to make updates seamless.

I think the problem is Vista or Word 2007 related as I have seen in internally with syncronised folders (Which I ahve turned  off to attempt to eliminate the issue)

I would have thouhgt that the ACT synching process would not have relied on normal windows folder synching technlogy but that seems to be the case. this is an assumption only, regardless it is very frustrating.

Jason

Bronze Super Contributor

I here you.

Handling 'external' files - any of the files that make up an Act! datastore that are not actually stored in the database file - has been problematic for as long as Act! has offered the ability to sync these files (as you may remember, back in the pre-SQL days of Act!, there was no such thing as file sync).

Sage has made great strides in making this feature more robust and reliable, but it is a challenge, and this is not merely an issue for Act!.  Any sync scenario is fraught with complexities that  can be hard to be forseen...

Hang in there!