05-20-2008 03:08 PM
I'm new here, but as I look around I see many posts regarding ACT*&^*%%#. I've been with ACT since version #1, did my own customization of reports & templates and never had a problem until the dreaded rewrite back at version 2005
Since then envelopes don't print correctly & lists leave contacts out. I printed 12 delivery tickets (templates is the same since 1990) and got 9 different "letter dates" , two of them correct and no date on the other 3, one was Sept 2003 , and Lord knows what it takes to get e-mail working!!
Until v2005, I hadn't ever called tech support, now they say "we don't support modifications", well in the first 15 years they didn't have to, they worked then!
Has anyone else had these problems? and found solutions?
I tried to talk to someone in authority there but was told I couldn't, and that I should post it here because someone important monitors this site
05-20-2008 03:22 PM
12-08-2008 04:03 PM
12-09-2008 08:35 AM
We are using ACT! Prem for Web 2009 v.22.214.171.1240. I create the templates in the web version using Internet Explorer, using our company logo, company name, address, tables, insert contact fields and save as a .TPW file name.
12-09-2008 09:20 AM
12-09-2008 03:43 PM
Act 2008 V10.3.3.182
I have a template that prints Contact name, address, phone,cellphone and today's date. I use it to print delivery sheets for contacts I have scheduled meetings for. A Tech told me that I had to have a "letter date" in my layout, sa I switched to a different layout that had one.
For a couple of times it worked, then it printed the letter date that was the last time I contacted them, - last week or 3 years ago
Last week it printed with correct dates on all, the day befor it printed correct dates only on the new contacts, and the last time I contacted them on the rest.
I cannot get it to print the cell phone number now
This is a template that I have used since Act 1, with the continuing conversions, it worked well untill Act 2006