Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tech Support Problems

Tech Support Problems

First of all, who are we dealing with here, SwiftPage or Sage. Second of all, why doesn't the knowledge base or the community reflect v16? All I see is 2011, 2010, v8, v7, v6.

I had installed a trail version of v16, we upgraded our databases from v6, all was good. I bought the license, I uninstalled the trial, downloaded the software via the link provided, installed, registered, everything went fine. Then I opened my database, the program said it had to update it, so it backed up and began to update, then I got an error message that the Schema had failed. Now after countless hours of suggestions from the community and knowledgebase it's still not working.

Here's what I've had to do:

1. Took the database to another computer that had the original trial v16 on it, opened fine.

2. Exported to a new file I created, come to find out, a lot of v6's fields aren't in the new version

3. Move the new file back to the other computer with the "newer" version of v16

4. Open the database, update to newer version, all good

5. Thanks for nothing

Re: Tech Support Problems

I'm sorry to hear that you have had such a frustrating time with this process.

To answer your question in regards to who owns Act!, Sage no longer plays a role in the Act! program. Swiftpage purchased it in March 2013 and now handles all of the support for it. 

As for the knowledgebase There are articles that are v16 specific as it pertains to new features that were released with the version. However, many of the processes for operating the program have been the same at least as far back as Sage ACT! 2011, so there haven't been new ones created specifically for v16. If you have any examples of some articles that were unclear as to whether they applied to v16 or not, I would be interested in which ones they are. It might be able to help us to make the knowledgebase user experience better.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

Elise,

I appreaciate you taking the time to address my concerns. Everything is working pretty good now with the exception of an occiasional "Recovery Pending" error when switching between databases. The following is the sequence of how this happens:

Windows 7 Professional

Act v16 latest version

Local Databases

1. Client will open database "A"

2. Client switches to database "B"

3. Client switches back to database "A" and it asks for a username / password which are not assigned to these databases.

4. Client calls me, I run Actdiag as administrator, Database list shows database "A" as in "Recovery Pending"

5. I stop the sql service and restart it, check the Database list, now database "A" is ok but "B" is in "Recovery Pending"

6. Stop, start sql service several times till all databases say "online", there are 5 including the demo.

This seems to happen every couple of days.

Just to add to the "Recovery Pending" issue.

The client just called me complaining about Act being slow.

When he looks at a client, changes something in an Activity, it takes every bit of 5 to 10 seconds to close that window when he clicks OK. Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

This sounds like a user caused problem or a system problem. You indicated that the user has five databases. All those databses witll be opened and loaded at boot time and will remain open. This won't be a problem with a very healthy system. Because of my work I have several databases loaded on my system at all times but then I have 8 gig of 
RAM and I've never had the problem you're reporting. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

These are all local databases, he's a salesman and they are different territories. He only has one open at a time and they are not shared, it's a very basic setup. As described, he goes in and out of each one as he needs, then he'll go back to a database he had open a half hour ago and it will request a username and password, even though he never had one. Then I have to stop/start the SQL service several times to get it one or more databases out of "Recovery Pending", then it work for a few more days, then it won't. I think it would be better if we just consolidated it all into one database, but the client has his way of doing things. I've done all of the repairs and resets via Actdiag, but nothing really changes anything.

EKKG wrote:

He only has one open at a time and they are not shared, it's a very basic setup. 

My point was that ACT! only connects to the database, the ACT! program doesn't open the databases. The SQL Server opens all the connected databases at boot time. This can be a drag on the system resources. The number of databases shouldn't be a problem provided the system has adequate resources.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, let me just say that I'm really unfamiliar with SQL, thank you for helping me to understand that those databases in the "list" are always open or I guess the word would be "attached". The computer is an i5 running Windows Professional 64 with 8gb of ram.

Does that sound ok?

The system specs are good and you shouldn't be having any problems like you describe. At this point, if you haven't updated to ACT! 16,1 and see if that helps.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129