Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tasks/Activities being deleted - Google Calendar Integration

Copper Contributor

Tasks/Activities being deleted - Google Calendar Integration

[ Edited ]

Hi need help.  I create an activity in Act, however, some not all (I don't understand why some and not others) of the activities are being deleted  from Act. Here is the order than I can estimate:

- Create activity and sync with Google calendar

- the activity is NOT synced with Google calendar

- the next sync will delete the activity from Act. Of course is not on the Google calendar. 

Within the integration preferences I have the "keep act activity," however, this assumes that there were changes made the same event in Google and act. Which there have been no changes. Additionally, I have the "leave the activity on the Google calendar" after it is cleared. 

Thank you very much.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Tasks/Activities being deleted - Google Calendar Integration

Hello Raymyersiii,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You note that this only occurs with some activities, but does it appear to be an issue with a particular type of activity (such as: meeting, call, to-do)?

Do you synchronize either Sage ACT! or Google with any other product or device?

Can you test with a new database?  Create a new database, create a few activities and test the sync effect.  This will determine if the issue is within your existing database or with the program as whole.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the delayed response. There has been lots of testing and trials. I called for support and therefore, purchased the gold level support. So far they don't have an answer.

Here is an updated version of what is taking place. 

• The issue appears to be with "My Record." Activites that are scheduled with only "my record" are not syncing to google calendar. On the second sync attemp they are deleted from Act!. 
  • We created a test database and the issue was still present. Therefore, they thought it was an application install issue and not a database issue.
  • I uninstalled the program including sql server 2008 R2. & reinstalled Act 2012 with service pack 1. 
  • Opened the database and the issue is still there.
  • Created a new database and the issue is not there. 
  • I then to to import the old/original database into the new database. The new database creates a new contact from my old "my record". I tried to sync an activity from the old my record contact and it still does not sync to google. The new my record does. Therefore, perhaps it is a problem with just that contact. 
  • I then try to copy/merge the old my record contact information (notes, histories, etc... becuase I still need them) into the new my record using the duplicate merge tool. Now both do Not sync. It appears the issue is now back with the new database.

Any ideas now? 

Thanks,

Ray

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try creating a new database with just a my record.
Import Notes, Histories, Activities - but do just Notes and try the test, then Histories, try the test, then activities....

Interested if there is some specific bad data that may be at fault.

You might also try deleting the metadata files as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28234

Turn on the trace logging before the tests as per:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27994

Maybe the log will show something

Copper Contributor

Well I am total at a loss.

I created a new database and imported, then merge the old my record to the new one, merging just the notes. then I planned on merging history etc... until it broke. Well it broke on the first one. 

More important however is that if I change what google calendar I sync to it seems to work! I use google apps. Therefore, I called google and asked if they would reset the calendar. Of course you can't/. Therefore, I "uninstalled" the application from the google apps suite. Then waited 24 hours and reinstalled it. Still broken!

Sage support wants to blame Google. Google wants to blame 3rd party apps (sage). 

I want to blame no one and just wish my software works!

Therefore, here is my next question.

If you sync Act to outlook and then sync outlook to google; theoretically it should work correct?  As long as you only sync Act with one program there should not be any duplicates. Correct? 

Thank you for your efforts. 

By the way, yes I deleted the google sync metadata folder. 

If you sync ACT! to Outlook or Google ... and then sync Outlook/Google with anything else (eg a phone) you WILL eventually get either duplicates or lost data ... they do state this (or did) during the setup

Actually, I remember during the beta that the Google sync wiped all my activities (not just My Record) from ACT! a couple of times forcing me to restore from backup ... I haven't gone back to use them, preferring the reliability of the third-party tools