Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Task Scheduler 'Access denied', can't edit, add or delete.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

Task Scheduler 'Access denied', can't edit, add or delete.

Task Sched Error.JPG

Discovered to my horror that my auto-backuos had stopped some weeks ago. Tried to delete the task and add it again, get error message shown above. Get the same message for any activity in the Act Scheduler, add, delete, edit, clear log etc.

Act Pro 2012, single user; win7 pro.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Task Scheduler 'Access denied', can't edit, add or delete.

The info in this KB may help:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23920/

It may be that if you use Task Manager to kill the process, then run the scheduler as Administrator

(start | programs | Sage ACT! | Scheduler (right click run as administrator) )

You'll be able to do what you want.

I'd suggest you don't edit tasks, rather delete it and recreate it from scratch, I find that works far more reliably.

Ben.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GrahamS
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

The info in this KB may help:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23920/

It may be that if you use Task Manager to kill the process, then run the scheduler as Administrator

(start | programs | Sage ACT! | Scheduler (right click run as administrator) )

You'll be able to do what you want.

I'd suggest you don't edit tasks, rather delete it and recreate it from scratch, I find that works far more reliably.

Ben.

Copper Elite Contributor

Good post thanks Ben. Found the Scheduler XML file and renamed it with Old prefix as per the KB (also did scheduler log file while I was there). Re-launched Act, scheduled new back-up no problem.

I'm wondering if it gets confused if it can't complete the task - I am backing up to an external HDD, (can't see any point in backing up to another location on the C drive, if it crashes you still lose!). So I'm wondering if it gets thrown if the ext HDD is not on line at the sched time? It had been going fine, keeping 7 generations of back-up, then just stopped without me knowing.

I only found out because I accidentally ok'd the task rollover on launch when I hadn't wanted to, so I thought I would just load the backup (that should have been done last night!) and found it had stopped about 4 weeks ago! Scary!

I might run a second auto back-up to the default file path in Act, and monitor them both for a while.

BTW, is Task Manager the same as Act Scheduler or is it a Windows function? I wasn't sure what you meant there. In Act Scheduler itself nothing worked no matter how I launched it.

Copper Elite Contributor

Oops, you can only schedule 1 of each task type, so can't do 2 back-ups! Will check ext HDD back-up for a while to see that it keeps going.

Bronze Super Contributor

I would ALWAYS backup to a local disk, not a network location or removable drive. 

If you want safety, then get a dropbox account (or similar) and have the back land into a dropbox folder.

Yup, you can only have 1 of each type of scheduled task. I've gotten around this by scheduling a backup task every 6 hours or every 12 hours, and keeping more of them.

I like to call it 'paranoid optimism" Smiley Happy

If I'm backing up, it won't break... if I don't backup, it sure as eggs will break!