Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Task List Lookup returns too many contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Task List Lookup returns too many contacts

I'm using ACT! 2009 Standard.

Why is it that when I highlight several contacts in my Task list and select “Create Lookup”, I get MANY more contacts in the resulting lookup than I highlighted? For example, I’ll highlight three records and do a lookup which returns 9 contacts (including the three I wanted). If I highlight three, I expect three in the resulting lookup… Any ideas?

If I click "Go to Contact", it returns the appropriate number of contacts...

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

ACT! 2013 Premium; Microsoft Office 2010

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author vogelap
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Task List Lookup returns too many contacts

Note that it is Create Lookup, not Lookup Selected. It creates a lookup of all the contacts that have activities showing on the task list.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author vogelap
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Note that it is Create Lookup, not Lookup Selected. It creates a lookup of all the contacts that have activities showing on the task list.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for pointing that out... I guess I was expecting it to be "Lookup Selected". I suppose I wish there was a way to perform a "Lookup Selected" from the Task pane...

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello. I am assuming then that you can't do a "lookup selected" if you want to "drill down" a highlighted set of contacts in tasks?  I can't find it anywhere. I guess the logic is the same whether you highlight one or more within a company/group tab view too?  Highlighting one or many in a company/group does you no good if you want to email to just one person(or a select few) in the tab view within a group/company tab view which is really awful and terrible you can't do that.  Poor thought out process. No logic to it at all.

Pat

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 07-24-2009 07:13 AM

If you would like to Lookup the contacts from a highlighted set of Activities in the Task List, then right-click and select Go to Contact. This will bring up a list of only the contacts in the activities you selected in the task list.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your message, Greg... I figured out that "Go to Contact" did what I wanted... I think it should be named "Lookup Selected" to be more consistent with the rest of the product. Or, if there is a difference between "Go to Contact" and "Lookup Selected", I think that "Lookup Selected" should be added to the right-click menu.
-drew
www.drewvogel.com

I understand what you are saying. The logic here is that what you are selecting is Tasks, not Contacts. So "lookup selected"  would imply that you want to lookup the selected tasks, when in fact you want to "go to" the contacts associated with the tasks. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.