Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Tapi Help Needed

Copper Contributor

Tapi Help Needed

I am having a problem with my local phone company advising what we need to do to setup our phone system to work with ACT for automatic dialing.

We are using ACT 9.0 with 5 computers on a pier to pier network BUT the act database is only on one of the computers - which I assume is fairly normal.

We use an NEC aspire phone system, which is connected to the network (so the phone system has it's own IP address)

We want each user to be able to dial directly from ACT, and also (ideally) to have popups on the screen for incoming calls.

The phone company THINKS we only need a TAPI 2 setup on the computer with the database - but they don't sound at all certain.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject.

One final "want" for us, is the ability to also track the number of outgoing calls from each computer. I am not sure if this is a part of ACT, a seperate program, or a part of the Phone system.

Many thanks for ANY responses.

Bob 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Tapi Help Needed

ACT! works through the Windows dialer, if the Windows dialer works with your phone setup then the ACT! dialer would work. All the ACT! dialer does is pass the TAPI formatted phone number to Windows and Windows actually does the dialing.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Roy I'm not sure that helps me with the answer - does that mean the individual users PC's will have to have a phone connection or just the server?

When you refer to the windows dialer - there is, I am sure, a dialer on each pc and the server. Which are you referring to?

Thanks

Bob

Each machine, the database only provides the number, the ACT! program does has the dialer.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The ACT! dialer only works with the Windows native dialer.

You might have a look at itDial, which support many others.

At the bottom of the page there's a file called Phone.zip that you can give to the phone company to test it without them needing to install ACT!

Copper Contributor

OK to confirm I understand.

We do have to have a tapi connection on each computer, and that program formats the information from ACT in a certain way so it works with the windows dialer (or ITDIAL) on each computer.

The fact that we have an networked phone system does not affect the ACT or the windows dialer in any way.

Finally, are you guys aware of a system that counts the number of calls placed in a day - or logs the calls placed?

Thanks for all the help.

Bob

You have to have a TAPI driver on the PC, not connection.

ACT! does if you dial through it... or press ctrl-H after each call :-)