Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

TEST CONNECTION crashes ACT! 2010

TEST CONNECTION crashes ACT! 2010

First -

Using ACT! 2010, ACT! E-Mail (no Outlook), private database (on my machine), running Windows 10.

My ACT! email stopped working.  If I send an email, nothing seems to happen after I hit send (email does not go into the Outbox, then Sent Items folders).  After I hit send/receive, ACT! email says "Checking for new messages", then "Receiving message x of XX", then "Logging out", but the messages never go into the Inbox.  And if you repeat the process, exactly the same thing happens.  As more email accumulates, XX goes up, but it is never cleared.

Finally, in E-mail System Setup, Internet Mail, if you try to run "Test Connection", ACT! closes, and the ACT! E-mail window hangs.

I've tried un-installing ACT!, etc, with no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: TEST CONNECTION crashes ACT! 2010

ACT! 2010 isn't compatible with Windows 10. While it may run in a limited fashion on Windows 10, many functions won't work. You need to upgrade to ACT!20.1
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You are probably right.....  but on the otherhand, it's been working perfectly fine for the last year and a half.  I'd like to know what the cause of the problem is.

Thanks for the reply.

Platinum Elite Contributor

My best guess is that a recent routine update to Windows 10 made a legacy routine used by ACT! 2010 unavailable. Typically when software companies end support on legacy features the supporting code isn't removed. For a time it will continue to work but updates to the main program will no longer protect the legacy code.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Elite Contributor

Bruce, I have two suggestions...

1. Pass emails from Act! email to locally Installed Microsoft Office Outlook 2016 32Bit -  The administration of emails through the PST file is more efficient and secure

2. Upgrade your current licenses from Act! 2010 to Act! V20.1

How to back up and restore an Act! database CLICK HERE

How to Back Up and Restore Your ACT! E-mail Database CLICK HERE

How to Backup and Restore Personal Files in ACT!  CLICK HERE

DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR DATABASE DAILY - and place a copy of that ZIP file in a USB memory or external disk for more security
in case your computer or server's hard drive is damaged

FIRMA.png

Juan Carlos Otero Garcia
juancarlosotero@protonmail.com

ATC! also does not recognize Outlook 2016 when setting up email.  This may be another problem.

Bruce

Bruce,

You're correct, but that is also an aspect of Act! 2010.  It is recognized in v20.1, and we've completely changed how we connect to Outlook.  It might be worth the experience to give it a try on both fronts.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com