Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Syncing with laptop

Syncing with laptop

I am a new user with Act9 and am having trouble understanding how to sync from my desktop computer to my laptop. I have created a sync set but I don't know how to get it to my laptop.  Do I use a USB drive?   Help, it was soooo easy with Act6!!!
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Syncing with laptop

This link should provide the information you need.

http://tinyurl.com/2wr3nx
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

it worked for me !!! thanks

I have 2 stand alone computers, one a laptop & the other a desktop. They are NOT networked and I am not understanding how to sync them per the instructions, once I have created a sync set and a remote database location.  Sorry to be so dense!!!

Squilchuck
Not dense at all, I have a heck of a time sync'ing since i upgraded and find the instructions useless.

I have 2 lapstops I need to sync and have been able to go from one to the other but not back.  Maybe someone can address the following two questions:

1. When i go from my 'normal' laptop to the other i always need to have an entirely new name for the database so i am not updating an old database but creating a new one

2.  I cannot figure out how to go from the second laptop back to the original.

Thank you all.

Don't know if this will help explain what i am doing wrong but i get an error popup that says

"Object reference not set to an instance of the object"

skip
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

squilchuck wrote:
I have 2 stand alone computers, one a laptop & the other a desktop. They are NOT networked and I am not understanding how to sync them per the instructions, once I have created a sync set and a remote database location. Sorry to be so dense!!!

Hello squilchuck,

In the previous versions, synchro could be done by a "sync file" you can send by email or direct copy on a shared folder. This is no longer available.
If one computer cannot reach the 2nd by network or internet, you cannot use the synchronization!

Part of the KB about synchronization since ACT2005

Note: All Synchronization are database to database, this will require a live connection between the Parent and Remote database. With this requirement e-mail sync is no longer an option.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

Skippy978 wrote:
Squilchuck
Not dense at all, I have a heck of a time sync'ing since i upgraded and find the instructions useless.
I have 2 lapstops I need to sync and have been able to go from one to the other but not back. Maybe someone can address the following two questions:

1. When i go from my 'normal' laptop to the other i always need to have an entirely new name for the database so i am not updating an old database but creating a new one
2. I cannot figure out how to go from the second laptop back to the original.
Thank you all.

Hello Skippy978,

Not sure what you try to do! Sync are database-to-database and directly bidirectional. You have to configure one database as the publisher database by enabling synchronisation. Once it's done, you have to create a sync set then a remote database (suscriber database) to unpack and restore on your 2nd computer.

And the can only be launched from the second one that host the subscriber database.

Xavier Nyssen

My problem may have been answered in the previous post...i am trying to do this with a flash drive, the computers are not networked.

What i was trying to do was take the database from the second computer, which was created using the 'RDB' function and redo the steps making this the primary database.

This does not seem to work.

So now I am stuck with the information on the 2nd computer with no way to move it back to the original one.

skip
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

If you want to use synchronization but your computers are not networked, you should think to host your database. There is many hosting service for Act database. The only thing remote users need is an internet connection to be able synchronize Smiley Wink

Xavier Nyssen