Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Syncing ACT - Desktop to Laptop

Syncing ACT - Desktop to Laptop

I am fairly new to ACT 2009 and currently only use my ACT database on my office desktop computer.  I would like to start using my database my laptop so I can take it on the road and work from home.  How do I make get a workable copy of my database from my desktop to my laptop is my first question, and my second question is how do I sync the two databases so the most recent information is utilized?

Chris

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Syncing ACT - Desktop to Laptop

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

The first question for you is: do you have a network in place that allows your laptop and desktop to communicate (share files)?  You will need a network connection to be able to synchronize.

To synchronize you will need to use what is called a 'Remote' database.  This Remote database will be created from the main (Publisher) database and restored on the laptop to be a fully functioning database.  When the 2 computers are connected to the network, you will be able to initiate a sync from the Remote.

For information on creating a Remote database, visit this article:

How to Create a Remote

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thank you for your prompt response.  No my desktop and laptop are not networked.  Can you advise me on the easiest way to network the two?

Regards,

Chris

Platinum Super Contributor

Certainly the least expensive (free) method is to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) service called Hamachi.  For information on setting up the Hamachi VPN visit this article: Setting Up Hamachi VPN

Note: Even though we provide instructions for it, Sage does not support the VPN or it's setup.

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

Thank you again.  I will review this article and consider it as one of my options.

Take care,

Chris