Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Syncing 2 computers: publisher and remote creation

nmk

Syncing 2 computers: publisher and remote creation

I am trying to sync two compters - both which have Sage 2011.  From my reading It seems I need a publisher DB and a remote DB.  Each computer is on its own now and to get changes back and forth - we create backup files and move them - but this is not good for a business - only one computer can be updated at a time...  How do we create a publisher DB and from that how do we create the remote DB??  I am told I need each - but not how to create them.

nmk

Syncing 2 computers

Hello.  We have 2 computers 1 a Mac (with windows on it) and one a windows PC.  I have Sage Act 2011 on both (with 2 licenses) and am wondering how to sync the two so that updates on one gets to the other.  We have a wireless network.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Syncing 2 computers: publisher and remote creation

Setting up a remote db is diffent from making a backup.  You have to use the tools which are pretty well detailed in this knowledgebase article.

I did have a problem a few weeks after mine was working.  It took me a little while to figure out that the IP address published by DHCP for my host was different than what I had set up in the router for port forwarding.  As a result of rebooting my system, the IP changed and took me weeks to figure it out.

So, if it begins to work and then stops, make sure the IP matches the host system and what is in the router.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Syncing 2 computers: publisher and remote creation

Just as a bit of clarification:  Port forwarding in the router is only needed if you are going to attempt to sync back to the home office PC while in a remote location via the internet.

If you are just syncing when you are both on the internal wireless, you can disregard that reference.

Also, if this is the case, using the machine name in the sync set up wizard will avoid any issues due to DHCP.