Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing - Remote Computers

Synchronizing - Remote Computers

We are still in the decision making process about changing from Goldmine (has priced itself out of our universe) to Act!.  We are a virtual office working from 4 home office sites 3 in the local Hampton Roads, VA area and 1 in Toronto Canada.  Wtih Goldmine we send Sync sets back and forth by email (Goldmine compresses them).  I understand we can synchronize with Act and I have read and reread the Knowledgebase information but I simply don't understand.  I assume that the remote computers send a sync set back to the parent and then the parent must send a "backup" or new database out to each of the remotes so that everyone has the same information.  Is that correct?

Secondly, I assume that the best facility for us would be to subscribe to an FTP server (I guess this will cost about $125 a year or so) to send these large files back and forth.  Is that the best course?

Is anyone else working with with non-networked computers and synchronizing without difficulty?  We need all staff to have the same information, including emails that other staff members have sent.

Re: Synchronizing - Remote Computers

Dear Cynthia, We had the same problem--working with four other "remote" recruiters on stand alone computers. To sync, we copy the synced database onto a CD and import from the CD at the remote location. That has worked fine, but is a little cumbersome. We only sync about once a quarter, so it is not too bad. Bob Bandholz 864.877.1874
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Cynthia,

There is one other option that may work for you. You can set up a VPN between the remote machines. This would allow you to set up a standard sync environment.

I'm including a link to a Mircosoft article that will give you a little more info on a VPN.

Virtual Private Networking: Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/vpn/vpnfaq.mspx
Nickel Super Contributor

Have a look at Hamachi (google it and it will come up top) its a free vpn tool which creates the vpn tunnel for you with no hassle of configuring routes/servers etc, just install it and away you go.

Tom