Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing Laptop and Netbook with USB sync cable.

Copper Contributor

Synchronizing Laptop and Netbook with USB sync cable.

I have the same version of ACT 10 running on both systems. I've read everything I could find on syncing and still confused. Not unusual!

I'm not on any kind of network and have wireless cards in both systems for my internet connections. I do have a USB sync cable that works in both directions for transferring and syncing files and folders. Is this what is being referred to as a "VPN"?

I'm hoping I can simply connect the two units via the USB cable and sync the two data bases regardless if updates to contacts on both units have occurred.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Russ

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Laptop and Netbook with USB sync cable.

First, you need to be able to connect the two systems so they can share folders as on a network.

The easiest way to do this is with a network router or, if you don't have one of those, a cross-over Ethernet cable.

To do this with a USB cable, you need a special-purpose USB bridge cable (I think Belkin make one)

Once you have done this -to sync the databases, you'll need to copy one of them to the other PC and merge them to create a single database. Then  set up Application Sync as per:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/01/sharing-act-network-or-sync-part-1.html