Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing Databases & Lockups

Synchronizing Databases & Lockups

[ Edited ]

I am an old Act! user (since 1998), but haven't used it in the last 5-6 years.  I must say I am disappointed at how clunky and buggy it has become.  And hard to use!

I am currently using Act! Pro 2013 on a Windows 7 Professional x64 machine.

Anyway, my first question is "How do I synchronize two existing databases?" The primary database I have on my local drive and the other database was created by someone else and saved to Dropbox.  I want to be able to synchronize them but am unable to do so - note that we used to do this all the time in previous versions of Act!.  I have read all the help, but they all want me to create a new database and set that up for synch.  That's not what i want - I already have two databases.

Second question - whenever I use Act! it crashes and many other programs lock up.  This is endemic!  I have done all kinds of tests including double blind tests and I have narrowed it down to Act!  Sometimes I can use it up to an hour without crasing, but most times less.  What is the fix?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Databases & Lockups

Question 1, you never could setup synchronization between existing databases, reliability. I wrote the procedures for setting up sync on ACT! 5-6 ans I called for starting with a new master database and setting up new remote databases.  With ACT! 7 and later there isn't any other option, you can't synchronize two existing databases.

Queation 2 sounds like a resource issue with your system. I'm running the same configuration on my system and I've never experienced what you're describing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

using dropbox with any database that is shared with multiple users will corrupt the database. With ACT, it will cause corruption and it flat out won't work.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

[ Edited ]

Regarding "you never could setup synchronization between existing database" - Why not?  I used it relaibly for over 7 years.  Looks like you wrote a procedure that was good for your architecture, but not for the customer.

Regarding "sounds like a resource issue with your system" I seriously doubt it because I have not had problems with any other program including Outlook (handling 20GB PSTs) and PhotoShop (1-2 GB PSDs) and videoand lots more.

[ Edited ]

Using it with Dropbox is not relevant to the main issue. I can copy it to a local folder. But how to synch is the problem.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi

in ACT6 (2004) and below, you could build a sync between 2 Databases.

with ACT7 (2005) the structure of syncing changed, as there was a bunch of mistakes that you could do with the old sync methode,

with the old sync way, you could sync via mail, or file exchange. (but, if you did loose a  single sync, your data was getting "problematic"  and you did see missing records in one or the other remote Database.

with the new way of syncing, (via VPN or Web)  Act keeps track what data is allready syncronised, so act can then make sure that there is no data missing.

the feature that was getting lost, is that you can not merge 2 databases. we can merge 2 or more databases into one, and from there on you can then use the standard ACT sync methode.

regards

Ingo Lange

CrmAddon Factory

+1 203 541 0040

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040

First off, I was in ACT! technical support from 1994 to 2004 before leaving to become an ACC. For ACT! 5 and 6 I was the synchronization expert. Synchronization for ACT! 3-6 was  kludge and allowed many options that should have never been allowed. Synchronization was an ongoing support head ache until I did some extensive research and found what worked and didn't work.ACT! 3-6 synchronization was fragile and easily broken. Once broken, the only RELIABLE fix was to merge all the databases into one and setup synchronization from scratch.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You are still justifying your programming methods even though they compromised ease of use (or for that matter, just use) for the user.

The point is that there was a good feature in Act! and you (your team) removed it because you didn't have the programming or architecture knowledge to build it the way the customer wants it.  You guys chose it the easy way, not the customer's way.

Sorry to be harsh, but I used to be a fan of Act!

You make a false assumption. In fact the synchronization used in ACT! 3-6 was a flawed and inferior design. Synchronization in ACT! 7 and later is a much better and more robust architecture.

What was overlooked in the ACT! 3-6 synchronization design was that pre-existing databases couldn't be synchronized because they lacked synchronized synchronization logs. When databases are in synchronization, every change made to each database is time and date stamped and entered into the sync log. when you synchronize the databases the loges are compared and the necessary changes are made to each database. In ACT! 3-6, when you set up synchronization with two pre-existing databases, the first synchronization became an uncontrolled merge and would result in data duplication and lost data. the worst was that neither database was clean after the synchronization.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129