Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Synchronizing Act and Outlook including notes.

Copper Contributor

Synchronizing Act and Outlook including notes.

Is there anything in the synchronize to Outlook preferences that includes synchronizing the contact notes?  The only way I have managed to bring the notes over is using Companion Link. 

The synchronize to Outlook works fairly well in 2011, but will it also includes notes?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Synchronizing Act and Outlook including notes.

Outlook doesn't have unique global IDs... trying to sync that data with Outlook will eventually cause you to lose your data or mass-duplicate it.

The sync to Outlook in 2011 barely works reliably at all

What problems have you encountered vis-a-vis "The sync to Outlook in 2011 barely works reliably at all"?  I am in the process of setting up my first ACT-Outlook sync (followed by a subsequent CompanionLink sync to my iPhone) and would like to know what pitfalls to be aware of.

Copper Contributor

So far my experience with 2011 is that the basic Act contact data synchronizes with Outlook but does not include the contact notes.  When I synchronize Outlook to my iPhone, the contact notes do not come across from Act.

I was hoping that Companion Link would not be necessary anymore for my iPhone but unless someone tells me different, synchronizing with Companion Link is the more robust approach bringing the contact notes and about anything else you would like to Outlook and the iPhone.

Not only does not include notes/history ... but doesn't include basic items, like the country code in the phone numbers.
The calendar sync moves activities to different dates depending on your time zones and other parameters
You can end up duplicating or losing your data

Plenty of other issues.

If you want your data on your phone, you should look at:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2010/05/getting-act-on-your-phone.html

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Mike.  Are you using CompanionLink to sync with your phone? 

I just read your blog on this and it looks like you're using Handheld Contact to sync.  Even with this app are you having problems?

I switched from CL to HHC a few years back...
HHC is the only sync solution that I can't cause issues with at will

The extra ACT! data you get and the reliability makes it worth while

> Is there anything in the synchronize to Outlook preferences that includes synchronizing the contact notes?  The only way I have managed to bring the notes over is using Companion Link. 

CompanionLink has supported Contact Notes sync for many years.  In ACT! Notes and Histories have a separate database but we've handled that by moving them to a text blob in Outlook. 

With CompanionLink, if you are synchronizing ACT! to Outlook, a new note in Outlook will be moved to ACT! as a Date/Time Note, and the Outlook side updated to reflect the sum of Notes from the ACT! side.

CompanionLink also supports Outlook Notes application (That we internally call NotePad), and in this case we move items to the notes from MyRecord in ACT!  This provides a handy way to make notes for yourself and have them in both Outlook and also in ACT!

I hope this is clear.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
http://www.companionlink.com